Greek Holidays

Any decent recommendations for beach holiday locations in Greece? I like white sand or white pebble beaches. Been quite disappointed with a few of my recent holiday choices.
Santorini kalamari brilliant went last year. Good for excursions noting first went on a cruise years ago and you see visit the town you see on all the ads Fira when we went there people we met regretted basing themselves there many saying sunset and white and blue buildings with views soon wear out and wished they had booked into a beach area

We've had loads of holidays in Greece over the years and used to really enjoy being over there. When the financial crash hit, we all know how hard they got it and we noticed that the resorts started to get scruffy and a bit dirty quite quickly especially due to lack of funds for decent refuse collection. When you think of what goes into the rubbish bags, late or even non-collection is not a great thing.

But, it's been 10 years since we last went and we both would really like to go back this year. Have you been there recently and how would you describe things on the whole. Are they still skint with rubbish piling up or have they got to grip with things and have got back to the great resorts they used to be.

If you've got anything to add from personal recent experience, then me and Mrs Flyer would be grateful of the info. Just let us know where you've been, we're not fixed on any particular resort or island

Thanks

The Sani resort at Halkidiki is fantastic I went there with my wife, my Daughter, son in law and Grandson last May
sani-hill-1-sani-resort-halkidiki-03.jpg

We always enjoy going to Greece.
Been to Crete a few times Stalis has lots of bars and restaurants and a child friendly beach,as you have to wade a fair way out to sea before it gets deep.

Rhodes was great too we stopped in a small place called Lardos.

Went to Halkidiki,Afitos,last year and it was lovely,though slightly more expensive than we expected for eating and drinking out.

We've had loads of holidays in Greece over the years and used to really enjoy being over there. When the financial crash hit, we all know how hard they got it and we noticed that the resorts started to get scruffy and a bit dirty quite quickly especially due to lack of funds for decent refuse collection. When you think of what goes into the rubbish bags, late or even non-collection is not a great thing.

But, it's been 10 years since we last went and we both would really like to go back this year. Have you been there recently and how would you describe things on the whole. Are they still skint with rubbish piling up or have they got to grip with things and have got back to the great resorts they used to be.

If you've got anything to add from personal recent experience, then me and Mrs Flyer would be grateful of the info. Just let us know where you've been, we're not fixed on any particular resort or island

Thanks
Went to Kos last year was ok but prefer Turkey plus it a lot cheaper

Went to Rhodes last year, followed by Athens. Can't even have a shower around tea time in Rhodes as the water supply on the island cuts off at peak times. Athens is a dump overall, but some great archaeological sites and views there, and a nice shopping center in Marousi, near the Olympic Stadium.

The Greeks are really friendly people on the whole, but I'd definitely recommend Cyprus as a holiday destination over Greece. I went to Paphos about 18 months ago, it is more expensive than Greece but you're pretty much guaranteed really good weather, and it's a bit more modern than Greece - plus they drive on the left, albeit like mad men. The only thing Cyprus has a lack of is decent sand beaches.

Hope this helps.
Try Northern Cyprus very cheap

Try Northern Cyprus very cheap

Looks amazing. They do they say that the Turks took the best part of the island. Not sure what it'd be like there re security. Do British travel companies do packages there?

I wouldn't recommend swimming at Molyvos, the beach there is only small. It's just a great place to go for an evening or two, sit on a balcony eating ice-cream, watching the sunset.

Petra round the corner is a better beach and bustling in the day time. The beach isn't the best quality (it's definitely the lowest quality out of the beaches I've mentioned).
I meant the bay for molyvos, not the very small beach near the restaurants. Petra has a better beach but molyvos is a great old style town with lots of restaurants and bars, nice views and the fishing port.

Looks amazing. They do they say that the Turks took the best part of the island. Not sure what it'd be like there re security. Do British travel companies do packages there?
Not sure mate about package tour I am in Altinkum in Turkey loads of ex pats from here go there for a "holliday" loads of ex pats from southerb Cyprus cross the border daily to get there shopping as it dirt cheap

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.