Gritty films

Can I nominate two films based on the work of my all-time favourite writer, jim Thompson.
The Grifters, with John Cusak, about small-time con artists.Wonderfully seedy and sleazy.
Also, The Killer Inside Me, out in the pictures recently, with Casey Affleck as an outwardly nice-but-dim small town sheriff who is really a homicidal maniac. Great stuff, but not easy viewing at times.
Other gritty classics I love are Serpico, Pacino at his very best. And for out and out craziness, Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia. One of Tarrantino's favourite films, by all accounts

The Vanishing.

Virtually no violence in it whatsoever but it is absolutely terrifying. One of the most memorable endings in film history.

Make sure you watch the 1988 Dutch original. Don't watch the 90's American re-make with Kiefer Sutherland. They changed the whole film so it has a happy ending.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.