Guardian: Silva, City's most important player

Blue Haze

Silva is City's most important player

David Silva spent most of his debut for Manchester City being buffeted about the pitch by Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone on the opening day of the season. Then it seemed like City's big summer signing was not made for English football, where praise from pundits generally centres on a player's pace, power and drive, rather than his vision or ball skills. We routinely hear Premier League tub-thumpers prattling on about how they would like to see how Lionel Messi would fare against Stoke City, an argument with more holes in it than West Ham's defence.

This is not something to be proud of and it is, of course, why English players struggle at international level, where possession is key, but in the Premier League, a small, skilful player is often viewed as a wanton luxury and Silva must have wondered what he had let himself in for as 21 headless chickens charged around him while he struggled to dictate play.

Since then his rapid rise has been remarkable. If Carlos Tevez has been portrayed as City's heart, then Silva is the brains. Tevez was missing through suspension against West Ham – and may be on his way out of Eastlands for good – but City did not suffer in his absence. Much was made before the game of City's inability to win without Tevez, but Silva would be a bigger loss. Indeed, if he maintains this level of performance, Roberto Mancini might not be too disappointed to see Tevez go. While it is true to say Tevez is City's captain, it is Silva who is their leader.

He was a delight to watch, constantly on the ball, teasing his opponents with his soft, shuffling footwork, keeping City ticking over with the intelligent economy of his movement. He looks like a small woodland creature and plays with the impish mischievous glint of one too. Everything went through Silva. He is the thinking man's footballer. His assist for Adam Johnson's goal, an impossibly brilliant through-ball, was outstanding and something no other player on the pitch could have done. Silva's work has largely gone unnoticed outside of Manchester, but judging by the way he spent the afternoon quietly winning a game of hide-and-seek with Scott Parker, one imagines that's just the way he likes it.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/dec/13/five-things-premier-league-weekend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ue-weekend</a>

Really glad to see Silva getting acknowledged around the country for his skill. Not sure he's more important than Tevez... yet, but it doesn't look far off. Though the rapidity of his rise from looking lost in the Prem to midfield maestro is mind-boggling. He is truly a genius.

superb article, and it's about time he has been mentioned.
he is an absolute joy to watch and along with kompany, de jong and zab, would be the first names on my team sheet.

i love you david

I may be paranoid - but 'suddenly' there seems to be a lot of gushing about City in the media - almost as if they were wishing (encouraging) Carlos out of the door thinking that it will weaken us significantly. I'm not sure that will necessarily be true though, especially with the January transfer window imminent.

And it was plain to see from the Tottenham game how good and important a player David Silva would be for us. Platinum!

nijinskybell said:
I may be paranoid - but 'suddenly' there seems to be a lot of gushing about City in the media - almost as if they were wishing (encouraging) Carlos out of the door thinking that it will weaken us significantly. I'm not sure that will necessarily be true though, especially with the January transfer window imminent.

And it was plain to see from the Tottenham game how good and important a player David Silva would be for us. Platinum!
Slightly paranoid imo, I think they are definitely on the club's side on this one.

What a good article though, and I completely agree.

Great read. I find it funny how quickly people can change their mind about a player. The writer of this suggests that he may have been a critic of Silva himself but now seems captivated by him. We need to show this guy the love, not just singing his name but I reckon we sign another Spaniard so he feels even more comfortable. He's already expressed his desire to have his best mate, David Villa, at the club. I can't see us pulling that off but prehaps Torres? Someone he can work with on the pitch 'cause it seemed to me at times he would work things with Tevez so we need a partner in crime for him.

Great article was a bit peed off watching match of the day consentrated more on the negatives of mario and tevez rather than show that perfect pass for aj's goal

credit where it's due,that is a superb bit of journalism,and no,not because it praises a city player,but because it is accurate,perceptive analysis.For some reason City have had more than our fair share of small brilliant playmakers,in my case going back to Bobby Johnstone, and Silva is up there with the best imho.An absolute bargain.

I wouldn't say it was a 'superb' piece. Anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge that has watched him closely over the last 3 games could've written that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.