Guardiola confirms intention to stay at City for next two years P123

The Champions League is the club's A1 priority and most fans understand this. Even more so now we've done everything else.

You all saw the hype around last Sunday's game. City need to be part of that and this team is easily good enough to win it. I'd sacrifice all three domestic trophies next year for it.

You’d sacrifice winning the PL title again, and for the *3rd season running*?

Only Arsenal and Liverpool have won the old 1st division title 3 years running. Only United have won the PL title 3 years running.

What is the greater achievement for Pep? Winning the PL title 3 years on the run, or finally winning the CL?

Would Pep be classed a failure if he didn’t Win the CL, but won the PL 3 times on the run, or maybe even 4 times on the run, before he leaves?

I would take the PL title over the CL anytime. Obviously the club and Pep now want the CL after last season’s clean sweep. I’ll accept that.

I know as a club we want to promote the "homegrown in house manager" vision, but it's extremely risky.

Ex-United players from under Ferguson have tried for decades to be top managers and none have succeeded. World class managers are a very rare breed.

There is no guarantee that even Lampard who has far more intelligence, charisma and leadership than most ex-players will be a top level success.

I suspect without a proven manager that the players trust and respect, our performances and standing as a club would seriously decline. The PL is currently too competitive for experimentation.

You only need to look at how United have struggled to find a replacement manager for Ferguson to see how much difference having a proven manager can make to a club's success.

I agree we should try innovative solutions to allow Pep to stay as long as possible, but I think his long term successor should be a proven world class manager, (like Bielsa?).

I agree with this but I would point out a couple of things:

Continuity of some form is important, we should have a set up that can handle the loss of a manager and has an eye on future managers. Right now if Pep had to leave for some random reason mid season I would be comfortable with Arteta and Kidd running the show to the end. That is a good position to be in. I would however not suggest that Arteta should be the automatic choice for permanent manager if Pep left. We should take the best available at the time.

One thing I have some issue with is having massive backroom staff set ups that come and go with managers. The risk there is that it is too much upheaval with the amount of new faces when you change manager. There is a balance and with Kidd a permanent fixture for a while we get this right. However he is 70 now. We need to have an eye on who the next Brian Kidd will be as well as the next Guardiola.

Only Arsenal and Liverpool have won the old 1st division title 3 years running. Only United have won the PL title 3 years running.

What is the greater achievement for Pep? Winning the PL title 3 years on the run, or finally winning the CL?

Would Pep be classed a failure if he didn’t Win the CL, but won the PL 3 times on the run, or maybe even 4 times on the run, before he leaves?
Huddersfield won it 3 years on the bounce also.

I would take the PL title over the CL anytime. Obviously the club and Pep now want the CL after last season’s clean sweep. I’ll accept that.

Huddersfield Town - 3 consecutive titles 1923-4, 1924-5 and 1925-6.

But, yes I'd take a third consecutive PL title over the UCL, (maybe we do both).

So, if City are going all out for the CL next season, Pep will have no choice but to do a Juergen, and field weakened sides in the 2 domestic cups, hoping we get to the finals where he can play the 1st team. There is no way we can do all 5 trophies. People will point to this season saying we can. But I firmly believe if we would have beaten Spurs, and with the fixture pile up to come, 2 games every week, we would have slipped up in the PL at some point. And maybe against Ajax and Liverpool?

I would take the PL title and the CL next season. Wouldn’t we all. Win the PL title 3 season’s on the run, and finally win that fixed and corrupt knockout cup competition that every other club and fan base crave.

Last edited:
Oh come on, do you really think UEFA is a one-man organization? Do you think your owners are helpless fools that couldn't do a thing if that was the case?

And apart from that, do you think Guardiola would go to such a club if a club operated like that? You sure hold him to a high standard.
Or perhaps you were going to say that we would kidnap him, yeah that would be more like our style. Grow out of mafia movies mate.
We're used to being pictured as the villains but sometimes it's just ridiculous.

Juve referred to as villains is hardly unjust though is it.

Juve referred to as villains is hardly unjust though is it.

Expound, please.
I've never said it was anyway, it's a matter of different point of views; others may refer to Man City as villains.

Oh come on, do you really think UEFA is a one-man organization? Do you think your owners are helpless fools that couldn't do a thing if that was the case?

And apart from that, do you think Guardiola would go to such a club if a club operated like that? You sure hold him to a high standard.
Or perhaps you were going to say that we would kidnap him, yeah that would be more like our style. Grow out of mafia movies mate.
We're used to being pictured as the villains but sometimes it's just ridiculous.

Unfortunately Italian clubs, and Italian football has a reputation of being corrupt and underhanded. As a club, City have had numerous problems dealing with Italian clubs, their insane demands, and their insane presidents.

And. Unfortunately for Italian clubs and their owners, the Ultras have far too many demands, and far too much say in how Italian clubs are run. Just for once I would like to see an Italian club president deal quietly and professionally with a club who wants to buy a player, rather than enlist the Italian sports media to start and continue a circus that surrounds any possible transfer. Kaka being the prime example.

Hope City draw Atalanta in the CL. Stayed in Bergamo before going to Milan for the CL final. Pre-booked everything on the off chance City would make the CL final. Fantastic old town overlooking the new part of the city below. Unfortunately the Atlanta Ultras are a problem. And with Bergamo being relatively small, and with 1000’s of City fans probably going, there could be trouble? We’ll see.

Unfortunately Italian clubs, and Italian football has a reputation of being corrupt and underhanded. As a club, City have had numerous problems dealing with Italian clubs, their insane demands, and their insane presidents.

And. Unfortunately for Italian clubs and their owners, the Ultras have far too many demands, and far too much say in how Italian clubs are run. Just for once I would like to see an Italian club president deal quietly and professionally with a club who wants to buy a player, rather than enlist the Italian sports media to start and continue a circus that surrounds any possible transfer. Kaka being the prime example.

Hope City draw Atalanta in the CL. Stayed in Bergamo before going to Milan for the CL final. Pre-booked everything on the off chance City would make the CL final. Fantastic old town overlooking the new part of the city below. Unfortunately the Atlanta Ultras are a problem. And with Bergamo being relatively small, and with 1000’s of City fans probably going, there could be trouble? We’ll see.

I'm not here to change your opinions, particularly as I can't fight against generic opinions.
As for Atalanta, everyone was happy that they made it to the CL, they deserve it.
They're also building a new stadium for next season, so it should be better for away fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.