Gundogan back to Dortmund ?

I am sorry but hardly does Fernandinho ever make passes that rip defences apart.
Lol Fernandinho is the least attacking minded in our midfield and that's totally fine because it is not his job. Picking diagonals is not a superpower either, plenty of our players from defence can do that. Fernandinho is always praised for helping defenders and being a master of dark arts, progressive play isn't his strength, and that's not a bad thing either. Don't get why some here get so defensive over criticizing Fernandinho, Pep gave him the 2 best seasons of his career and adapted a system to his strengths while also making him a leader in this team, that's why we respect him so much and why he's so valuable, but we should also be able to look at strengths or weaknesses of these individuals, as is the case here when I say that Rodri will improve us a lot, and that's not disrespecting Fernandinho either.
Apologies as some of this may reiterate what you have said, but with some distinctions.

Fern hasn't really needed to draw on his passing. His passing has been generally fine and any perceived issues with his passing has never really been an issue. There have been CB, full backs and no 8 s in the team who have been capable of making those diagonals are breaking lines with there passing.

When he is out it is his defensive intelligence/ game that the team have missed not a deep lying playmaker.

Rodri is being brought in to ensure we don't suffer when Fern is out and to rotate him. He is not being brought in to add to an array of players in the team who already play the kind of passes your talking about, in saying thar from what I've seen Ferns passing is fine from deep.

If his passing was so much of a problem Pep would not be thinking about Fern playing in the back 4 this season.

Hes not perfect but neither is Busquets which his game at Anfield proved recently.

What Fern is though is on a par if not better than the Casimeros, Verrati and Busquets currently out there in terms of how he carries out his role.

Finally Fern was one of the best attacking midfielders in Europe before coming to City.

Any perceived weaknesses he may have in attacking is due to how successive managers have wanted to deploy him and where they expect him to be on the pitch if are build up has broken down.

These experts always go on about the same sort of things. Gundogan played well in the run in it's true but he could have cost us the title simply because he didn't fancy it against Maguire. And if I had to guess, I'd say that's what most don't like about him. He's capable of playing some great football but he's a bit windy. The most decisive contributions at the end there were Kompany's experience and fitness and Aguero's enduring will to win. KDB in half an hour showed what he's about in the cup final. They've got qualities that are difficult to define and that transcend tactics. Fernandinho is the same kind of player. He may have weaknesses in his game (that most players would kill for) but he brings things that many players will never have and some people overlook these qualities.

In perhaps one of the most demanding roles on the pitch Gundogans contribution when Fern was out I think was instrumental in City doing the treble.

In fact how City achieved sucesss and the treble this was probably more spefically defined in one word which City displayed against Brighton in the the last game of the season.

Team work

Gundogan and all of the others all made telling contributions to Teamwork, which amongst others is perhaps the most important factor upon how Peps system works so successfully.

Peps:City's system, tactics and success have never been down to one or a few individuals.

Apologies as some of this may reiterate what you have said, but with some distinctions.

Any perceived weaknesses he may have in attacking is due to how successive managers have wanted to deploy him and where they expect him to be on the pitch if are build up has broken down.

Appreciate this. Yes he's definitely one of the best at what he does, but I'm not saying his passing is problematic either, it's just like, imagine a hybrid of Gündogan and Fernandinho. One who is equally defensively sound and attack minded, knowing what to do well and most importantly, reading + controlling the game. I do see the Busquets comparisons but honestly following Ateltico regularly over past few years he is actually a bit different and works like a box to box at times. I definitely don't think Fernandinho passing could be classified as an issue, I just think having someone like Rodri in there allows us to be more expressive in CL, or even sit back comfortably at times with him alongside Fernandinho and maybe KDB ahead of them. Because he offers a lot more combinations in my opinion than solely a Gündogan or Fernandinho in that role. Yes he will initially also take time to settle but in due course it will show. The bigger picture here is that Guardiola has adapted a fair bit to English football and culture, but with signings like Rodri, you can see he wants to bring his core game back exactly as it was with Barça treble year.

Appreciate this. Yes he's definitely one of the best at what he does, but I'm not saying his passing is problematic either, it's just like, imagine a hybrid of Gündogan and Fernandinho. One who is equally defensively sound and attack minded, knowing what to do well and most importantly, reading + controlling the game. I do see the Busquets comparisons but honestly following Ateltico regularly over past few years he is actually a bit different and works like a box to box at times. I definitely don't think Fernandinho passing could be classified as an issue, I just think having someone like Rodri in there allows us to be more expressive in CL, or even sit back comfortably at times with him alongside Fernandinho and maybe KDB ahead of them. Because he offers a lot more combinations in my opinion than solely a Gündogan or Fernandinho in that role. Yes he will initially also take time to settle but in due course it will show. The bigger picture here is that Guardiola has adapted a fair bit to English football and culture, but with signings like Rodri, you can see he wants to bring his core game back exactly as it was with Barça treble year.
Spot on

I like him, Think he is very good at what he does, but the fact of the matter is he will be 29 in October, he is going to be looking for one last payday, and I don't want him on a 4 year deal with him tied up on fairly large money till he is 33. I am all for keeping him next year, if he wants to stay, but if we got an offer over 25m for him, I would consider letting him go

Fernandinho is more creative than many of us realise. His job isn't solely to win the ball back & disrupt, Fern's the first line of attack too.

Getting the ball to the correct players in space, & being able to receive & distribute during our attacking play is what separates Fernandinho from his peers. This shows the discipline of s master technician who's not averse to reverting to the dark arts if all else fails.

His transfer was the best £28m we've ever spent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.