Gutted but Maybe this was why

I'm sad to see him go and will always be grateful that he won us the league and cup. I do however think his management of Mario has got an awful lot to do with his departure. Mario was his lad and he couldn't get him to settle here. Fair enough but his decision not to get rid last summer ultimately left us weakened up front. And sure enough, Mario got over his injuries and started scoring.

There are many reasons why he's gone and not meeting objectives is the least of them. He was the alpha male and only really interacted with his Italian coaches.

It's part of the club's future that we will have one approach from U7 to the first team but he wasn't in the slightest bit interested in that.

Virtually all the first team squad who were here before last summer were alienated for various reasons. The only names I've not heard specifically mentioned have been Clichy & Barry. Some if those disliked him because of his style and criticism of them but some had more serious reasons. Three of our most important players have been forced to play with injuries that they felt should have ruled them out. Hence they've simply been less effective this season. I believe this is why the former doctor was sacked, because he stood up to him. Since that, our injury record and the physical effectiveness of some key players has been a key factor in our underperformance. Remember the stories about Bellamy? He was seriously concerned that Mancini's "fuck your dodgy knees you'll do what I tell you" approach would curtail any remaining playing years he had. Two of those key players were threatening to walk over this, they were so worried about their future health.

He had fallen out with virtually all the senior executives/staff, which is why Vicky Kloss was told to sit on her hands and let him stew and she was happy to do so. But the final straw was apparently a serious confrontation with the boss himself, in Abu Dhabi about 6 weeks ago after the Newcastle game. This involved disrespecting very important people involved in the club's strategic direction and after that the order to get a replacement was rubber stamped.

However the 'Dos Amigos' haven't come out of this with much credit either. They've been a bit naive although it's not all their fault the way this unfolded. They need, as Ian Ladyman alludes, to deliver now. But the future is very bright if they do. Very bright indeed.

In 2-3 years time, people will realise why we had to change manager and will not be worrying about Mancini.

Not sure where the EDS comes in to people's head, where it comes to Mancini. Did he not attend a game or two? Did Zabaleta not and therefore giving his opinion to RM on their development, as a 'scout'??

By all accounts, haven't the management of those lads' development been pretty sub standard, thus far? And IF that is the case, why would RM have introduced into the team youth players, on a regular basis??

Not only that, with the first team not performing well enough to allow youth players to be introduced, how was he supposed to do this anyway and not be criticised for bringing young players into an under performing team??

Dammed he did or didn't.

Prestwich_Blue said:
There are many reasons why he's gone and not meeting objectives is the least of them. He was the alpha male and only really interacted with his Italian coaches.

It's part of the club's future that we will have one approach from U7 to the first team but he wasn't in the slightest bit interested in that.

Virtually all the first team squad who were here before last summer were alienated for various reasons. The only names I've not heard specifically mentioned have been Clichy & Barry. Some if those disliked him because of his style and criticism of them but some had more serious reasons. Three of our most important players have been forced to play with injuries that they felt should have ruled them out. Hence they've simply been less effective this season. I believe this is why the former doctor was sacked, because he stood up to him. Since that, our injury record and the physical effectiveness of some key players has been a key factor in our underperformance. Remember the stories about Bellamy? He was seriously concerned that Mancini's "fuck your dodgy knees you'll do what I tell you" approach would curtail any remaining playing years he had. Two of those key players were threatening to walk over this, they were so worried about their future health.

He had fallen out with virtually all the senior executives/staff, which is why Vicky Kloss was told to sit on her hands and let him stew and she was happy to do so. But the final straw was apparently a serious confrontation with the boss himself, in Abu Dhabi about 6 weeks ago after the Newcastle game. This involved disrespecting very important people involved in the club's strategic direction and after that the order to get a replacement was rubber stamped.

However the 'Dos Amigos' haven't come out of this with much credit either. They've been a bit naive although it's not all their fault the way this unfolded. They need, as Ian Ladyman alludes, to deliver now. But the future is very bright if they do. Very bright indeed.

In 2-3 years time, people will realise why we had to change manager and will not be worrying about Mancini.

Exactly this PB. Mancini will forever be remembered for what he has achieved at this club but it has been increasingly obvious he was pulling in the opposite direction to the rest, not that they wanted different outcomes just it was Mancini's way or being wrong in his eyes, this is what they meant by holistic.

Thanks for the memories our bob. C'est la vie.

Bigga said:
There is a flaw in your assessment of Roberto Mancini's hire; why let him sign an extension, rather than just see out the former contract he was on...??
Once he signed that he thought he was untouchable and behaved as such. Quite an error.

de niro said:
Bigga said:
There is a flaw in your assessment of Roberto Mancini's hire; why let him sign an extension, rather than just see out the former contract he was on...??
Once he signed that he thought he was untouchable and behaved as such. Quite an error.

On the other hand, his believing the contract extension was an understanding that they trusted and believed in his approach and was justified for his speaking out about the lack of support for his attempt to bring further success to the club.

You're given an extension because they trust you.

Isn't that the way of business...??

metalblue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Exactly this PB. Mancini will forever be remembered for what he has achieved at this club but it has been increasingly obvious he was pulling in the opposite direction to the rest, not that they wanted different outcomes just it was Mancini's way or being wrong in his eyes, this is what they meant by holistic.

Thanks for the memories our bob. C'est la vie.

I don't disagree with the points made. But that was not why he was sacked.

None of the above would have mattered if we had won the league, done well in the CL, and were battering teams for fun.

Even managing one or two of the above might have saved him. But as we know, we managed none of them. For the most part our performances have been laboured and lacklustre. It does not take a footballing genius to see that in many (most?) games, we looked clueless as to how to break the opponents down.

So Soriano, Tixi, Khaldoon sit and watch uninspiring football and then look at the empty trophy cabinet and decide a change is needed. Is anyone really surprised?

oldius said:
I think that the most important part of the statement is the need for an "hollistic" approach. I will always love Mancini, like most fans, but I think it would be fair to say that he has an autocratic management style, which doesn't fit in with the model that we are trying to introduce.

From the top of the club to the bottom, a shared philosophy is essential. All levels within the club will be expected to play the same style with a regular flow of players from the EDS into the first team. Mancini's criticism of the club's purchasing in the summer, emphasising a lack of trust in the EDS players, cannot be considered to be part of this philosophy.

Whether this philosophy is likely to bring the kind of instant success demanded now of our club is a moot point. The media certainly is an issue that we need to get a handle on but, given the scale of the investment in East Manchester by the club, the philosophy certainly makes more sense than the traditional buy, buy, buy approach of clubs attempting to break through into the big four.

Either way, I'm a City fan and whoever comes in will be supported in the way that Mancini was. These remain some of the most exciting times ever at our club.

Well said pal.

I wish I had the words to write such a well thought piece.

This is the way I see it.

Its okay khaldoon wanting an holistic club where we are all singing from the same sheet, but its our tunnel vision fans that will be his biggest battle. As soon as we lose one match there'll be bemoaning the mancini gate. Our ability to be negative is up there with the very best.

City have took a very brave step yesterday, moving from a comfort zone into what looks like a torrid sea negativity, one that must have taken some nerve and beyond forward thinking, it's that sort of nerve that wins you things and keeps you at the top.

We are in very good hands, regardless of the media listening sheep that follow us and the negative bile spewing press pack. Some understanding would go along way, this is our time to show our true mettle and get behind our club and what is its LONG term vision. Its brave, it may take time, but I applaud the club for thinking about a healthy FUTURE and not just about finishing in the top four like every other single one track minded club in the prem.

Get onboard.

Mancini fell out with Zaba, Milner, Hart and Kompany, as well as the primadonnas in our squad. I think he stopped talking to the players, and behaved with them exactly how he dealt with Bellamy, in that he wouldn't listen, and told them it was his way or he alienated them. This is exactly how he dealt with players in Italy, and why he wasn't liked there.

Now you don't have to be liked to be a successful manager, as he has proved, but you need respect from the players, which you have to earn, and Roberto was too single minded to try. The change of medical staff and coaches has had players muttering complaints this season, and we haven't improved. We have had a lot more injuries, the form of several key players has dropped too.

Despite some of the football last season, and the amount of goals we scored, we ended up limping over the finish line to win the league. This season we should have been even better but the team, despite looking like the best squad in the league has underperformed. If he had taken us out of the Champions League group into the knockout stages, then I think he could have kept his job. It was a difficult group, but we were all confident of qualifying before the group games started.

Clubber said:
Gutted Mancini has gone, but we get up and go again. We have the brightest futures of any club on the planet.
Brightest? Dunno about that. Chelsea's future is as bright, if not brighter, since they are in London and have won all the top trophies. Players will be attracted to them more than they will City and Manchester. United won't be going anywhere. München, Paris, Madrid... Our future could be good but to say it's the brightest would be naïve and probably wrong. Just because we want to become the best, doesn't mean the others that want to become the best as well are not going to and the ones that are already the best aren't just going to step aside for us.

The rest I agree with. Before the CL even started this season I knew we wouldn't qualify, we're nowhere near as good as Madrid or Dortmund. And even Ajax, when we have players at Barry's level and style (can't cope against midfields like Ajax's...and Wigan's), I thought we'd struggle.

Other than that I think the inability to break down packed defended was one of the biggest nails in the coffin too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.