Gym Heads (protein shakes)

I see people who've been 3/4 times to the gym a week and/or take protein shakes and think they're too obsessed with themselves.

SteSteez said:
As mentioned you can't beat a decent diet, although protein shakes won't do you any harm they aren't something you should just "rely on"

Google high protein meals, meats such as chicken/turkey (skinless), cottage cheese, fish (unbattered), loads of ways to get your intake without shakes although they are more convenient.

check Myprotein.co.uk - their warehouse is in south manchester, and here is a discount code:

MP31337

I use their products, my goals may be different to yours? i dunno, if you wanna be big basically you gotta eat ALOT of cals per day, or you can cheat? but gear courses can be expensive.
My goal is to stay skinny but strong for my weight, with this i try to avoid fatty foods and white carbs (white race/pasta etc)

You can have the right diet but a crap training routine, many people burn muscle often.. post up your routine

Cheers pal
Warm up etc then about 15 mins with the kettlebell....
Then onto 20 pull ups 1 press up...19 pull ups 2 press ups....18 pull ups 3 press ups....you get the gist eh..

I'm only 12 stone but wanna keep lean and basically on a mint diet with pure protein meals....fillet steak all the time.

Sound like a right woman there haha but I could prob fuck the shakes off all together with the amount of protein I have.

Unknown_Genius said:
Tuna is a good protein source, and a tin from Tesco's is fairly cheap aswell.

Are these any good?:

Not particularly . They contain a good amount of protein (around 20g per can), a good amount of carbohydrate (i think it's around 50g) and around 10g of fat.

The problem with this particular shake is the fact that there is no good time to consume it. Around half of the carbs come from sugar (pure sugar - the other half comes mainly from lactose which isn't a bad thing), so this in itself means it's not so good to drink as a meal replacement - as it contains around 5 teaspoons of table sugar.

If it didn't contain 10g of fat it would be suitable to use post workout, although if your wanting to increase weight (muscle and fat) then the 10g isn't a huge deal. To a person who is dieting or wanting to 'tone up' 10g of fat is quite high for one serving, especially when you can make you own shakes and have full control over what you put into it.

The other problem is, you'll look like a chav drinking it. When Partirdge refers to his wifes fitness instructor boyfriend, he says 'he drinks that yellow stuff in tins, he's an idiot'. These drinks are the ones he is refering to :-)

ono said:
SteSteez said:
As mentioned you can't beat a decent diet, although protein shakes won't do you any harm they aren't something you should just "rely on"

Google high protein meals, meats such as chicken/turkey (skinless), cottage cheese, fish (unbattered), loads of ways to get your intake without shakes although they are more convenient.

check Myprotein.co.uk - their warehouse is in south manchester, and here is a discount code:

MP31337

I use their products, my goals may be different to yours? i dunno, if you wanna be big basically you gotta eat ALOT of cals per day, or you can cheat? but gear courses can be expensive.
My goal is to stay skinny but strong for my weight, with this i try to avoid fatty foods and white carbs (white race/pasta etc)

You can have the right diet but a crap training routine, many people burn muscle often.. post up your routine
What do you mean by that mate?

As in you can eat the correct foods for say bodybuilding but in the gym you can overtrain and start to burn the muscle, which will result in less strength gains, and less definition.

Citycitytid said:
Cheers pal
Then onto 20 pull ups 1 press up...19 pull ups 2 press ups....18 pull ups 3 press ups....you get the gist eh..

I'm only 12 stone but wanna keep lean and basically on a mint diet with pure protein meals....fillet steak all the time.

Sound like a right woman there haha but I could prob fuck the shakes off all together with the amount of protein I have.

You want to stay "lean" as mentioned, if you are happy with your current weight then stick to the amount of cals you consume however try to "up" your cardiovascular training, and replace the fatty foods with complex carbohydrates such as pasta/rice.

you'll notice the fat begin to burn off your body through the Cardio and cut of fatty foods, and you'll notice muscle size gain through the complex carb intake and weight training.

Try to hit the gym 3x per week say Mon-Wed-Friday... so you go a day and miss a day. giving your body time to repair itself the following day.

Look at doing your CV before your weights, so 10min warmup on treadmill (slow walk/jog) followed by 15-20min on a cross-trainer.
Google search: HIIT
and focus your Cv training around the concept of HIIT...

Once your CV is done and dusted, look at doing curcuits.
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_training</a>

with curcuits, look at around a max of 4 different exercises, and look at target areas for specific days.. so monday could be your upper body day, where you work your chest/tricep and biceps... wednesday could be your legs, friday could be your back/shoulders etc.

So with 4 different exercises, make sure you contain atleast one compound exercise... google compound exercises. these include back squats/deadlifts etc.

look at doing around 4-6 reps per exercise, with 4 sets per exercise, but obviously when doing a curcuit you'll do say one set of backsquat then go onto one set of deadlift and so on.

lower reps with heavier weights = strength gain, followed with calorie uptake = size gain.
higher reps (15-20) with lower weights = muscle/fat tissue loss, followed with calorie decrease = size loss.

Hope this helps

SteSteez said:
ono said:
What do you mean by that mate?

As in you can eat the correct foods for say bodybuilding but in the gym you can overtrain and start to burn the muscle, which will result in less strength gains, and less definition.

Citycitytid said:
Cheers pal

You want to stay "lean" as mentioned, if you are happy with your current weight then stick to the amount of cals you consume however try to "up" your cardiovascular training, and replace the fatty foods with complex carbohydrates such as pasta/rice.

you'll notice the fat begin to burn off your body through the Cardio and cut of fatty foods, and you'll notice muscle size gain through the complex carb intake and weight training.

Try to hit the gym 3x per week say Mon-Wed-Friday... so you go a day and miss a day. giving your body time to repair itself the following day.

Look at doing your CV before your weights, so 10min warmup on treadmill (slow walk/jog) followed by 15-20min on a cross-trainer.
Google search: HIIT
and focus your Cv training around the concept of HIIT...

Once your CV is done and dusted, look at doing curcuits.
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_training</a>

with curcuits, look at around a max of 4 different exercises, and look at target areas for specific days.. so monday could be your upper body day, where you work your chest/tricep and biceps... wednesday could be your legs, friday could be your back/shoulders etc.

So with 4 different exercises, make sure you contain atleast one compound exercise... google compound exercises. these include back squats/deadlifts etc.

look at doing around 4-6 reps per exercise, with 4 sets per exercise, but obviously when doing a curcuit you'll do say one set of backsquat then go onto one set of deadlift and so on.

lower reps with heavier weights = strength gain, followed with calorie uptake = size gain.
higher reps (15-20) with lower weights = muscle/fat tissue loss, followed with calorie decrease = size loss.

Hope this helps
Very well written mate. Over-training is a big probem, especially for those who don't consume enough carbohydrates. Even a lot of professional athletes greatly over-estimate their protein needs, whilst underestimating their carbohydrate needs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.