Hacienda-Happy 30th Birthday

The Flash said:
strongbowholic said:
BWTAC said:
It had fuck all on The Ritz.
Ritz on a Monday Night (early 90s) - magic.

Student/Indie Night? - £1 in, 50p a pint. Glory days and no mistake SBH.
Dead on son! And the mad dash around the springy dancefloor to the 633 squadron at the end of the night. Happy days.

Remember getting smashed on snakebite one particular Monday and they played "Rise". I proceeded to skip around the dancefloor indiscriminately grabbing people and shaking them whilst screaming "anger is an energy" at them.

How I'm still alive to tell the tale is a complete and utter mystery, as if I'd have been on the receiving end and I'd have battered the shit out of me.

Fitton said:
LongsightM13 said:
When it was good it was amazing.
When it was bad it was the shittest nightclub in the world.
Elaborate?
I'm old enough to have gone in there in the early days when the house thing hadn't really exploded yet. It was often two-thirds empty and freezing cold, as well as expensive for beer etc.
There were also many shit nights once it became the biggest club in the world, too many coach parties of hillbillies and tourists queuing up from 8pm, meaning the locals couldn't get in.
And of course, there was its moody endgame, when the plastic gangsters took over.
But as I said, when it was good it was amazing

LongsightM13 said:
Fitton said:
LongsightM13 said:
When it was good it was amazing.
When it was bad it was the shittest nightclub in the world.
Elaborate?
I'm old enough to have gone in there in the early days when the house thing hadn't really exploded yet. It was often two-thirds empty and freezing cold, as well as expensive for beer etc.
There were also many shit nights once it became the biggest club in the world, too many coach parties of hillbillies and tourists queuing up from 8pm, meaning the locals couldn't get in.
And of course, there was its moody endgame, when the plastic gangsters took over.
But as I said, when it was good it was amazing

I remember walking in and being pulled into one of those booths on the left. I was halfway through being quizzed as to my identity with my wallet being rifled before my mates clocked that I had gone. Luckily the Salford booth and the Hillbilly booth had a word with each other and I managed to keep my fucking money.

strongbowholic said:
The Flash said:
strongbowholic said:
Ritz on a Monday Night (early 90s) - magic.

Student/Indie Night? - £1 in, 50p a pint. Glory days and no mistake SBH.
Dead on son! And the mad dash around the springy dancefloor to the 633 squadron at the end of the night. Happy days.

Remember getting smashed on snakebite one particular Monday and they played "Rise". I proceeded to skip around the dancefloor indiscriminately grabbing people and shaking them whilst screaming "anger is an energy" at them.

How I'm still alive to tell the tale is a complete and utter mystery, as if I'd have been on the receiving end and I'd have battered the shit out of me.

Haha!!! So that was you was it????!!!

Remember once going apeshit to Know Your Enemy by RATM, and I missed a beat. That springy dancefloor proceeded to bounce me into the DJ booth smearing my somewhat startled face along the plexi-glass.

So many good times had at The Ritz. Even going to the lavs was an adventure, so many fucked up people in that corridor under the dancefloor.

Good times indeed.

I am pretty close friends with its former manager, Paul Mason, who I usually see a couple of times a year.

He's got some stories to tell. It was never my cup of tea. In spite of my somewhat sheltered upbringing and the fact I never had to pay to get in there I still preferred the edgier dance clubs in Manchester at the time. The Banshee, The Thunderdome and Hippos in particular. I found the Hac to be pretentious and the music funereal at times.

1988-1990 were good at hacienda, before everybody started dressing, acting and dancing the same

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.