Hacienda-Happy 30th Birthday

LongsightM13 said:
strongbowholic said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
The Konspiracy was like a Victorian tea room compared to the Thunderdome and Hippos.
Thunderdome on Oldham Road? Brilliant!
They played terrible music in them two. Cheesy hardcore rave music, just awful. At least the Hacienda and Konspiracy played decent music.
An honourable mention should also go to The Boardwalk, where a lot of people went after the gangs and day tripper bus parties from Yonnerland started ruining the Hacienda. Dave Haslam's 'Freedom' house night on a Saturday, and the 'Yellow' funk and soul night on a Friday, both were ace for a spell, with none of the aggressive/up their own arse attitude of Fac 51

Yeah, House snobbery was in full effect in those days. We looked down on The Thunderdrome as being the home of what we called the "cheesy quavers". Scally lads on bad Es with dummies in stomping to cheesy hardcore house.

Elitism was rife in the early days of the scene because it became flooded with knobs. And elitism has always gone hand in hand with youth culture.

Didsbury Dave said:
LongsightM13 said:
strongbowholic said:
Thunderdome on Oldham Road? Brilliant!
They played terrible music in them two. Cheesy hardcore rave music, just awful. At least the Hacienda and Konspiracy played decent music.
An honourable mention should also go to The Boardwalk, where a lot of people went after the gangs and day tripper bus parties from Yonnerland started ruining the Hacienda. Dave Haslam's 'Freedom' house night on a Saturday, and the 'Yellow' funk and soul night on a Friday, both were ace for a spell, with none of the aggressive/up their own arse attitude of Fac 51

Yeah, House snobbery was in full effect in those days. We looked down on The Thunderdrome as being the home of what we called the "cheesy quavers". Scally lads on bad Es with dummies in stomping to cheesy hardcore house.

Elitism was rife in the early days of the scene because it became flooded with knobs. And elitism has always gone hand in hand with youth culture.

Do you mean elitism in a class sense, or just elitism about the quality of the music, the authenticity of the look, etc?

Call it elitism or whatever, but I hated cheesy hardcore rave music. All them 170pm beats, speeded up squeaky cartoon voices and hoover noises. The Prodigy may have become icons in later life, but their Charly Says debut monstrosity is one of the worst records ever made.
Much preferred the more soulful/funkier end of House music, particularly Graham Park's stuff.
As for Hippos and The Thunderdome, went to both but they were mainly populated by north Manchester folk. Us from the south of city centre saw no real need to go past the myriad choices of town to take a chance on a lesser club in the burbs.
Mind you, while both were on the rough and ready side, they seemed like the millionaires' playgrounds of Monte Carlo compared to the one and only night we made the mistake of going to Quadrant Park in Liverpool. It was like a journey into the flames of hell

gaudinho's stolen car said:
sun jihai said:
Just turned 18 this year so obviously have no idea other than what I've read or heard (mostly on here), would love to know how it would put places like 42s and 5th ave now into perspective

It's something completely different.
I'd love to know. it seemed so much more about atmosphere and feeling then rather than being all about image like it is now. am i right?
Majority of people out these days seem to spend the whole night looking for the photographer to take a picture of them pouting so they can tag themselves on facebook. maybe i'm just going to the wrong places...

I praise the lord for the fact that my clubbing days came long before mobiles, Facebook, twitter and all that shite. If you were out, you were out, and if you missed it, tough shit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.