Happy 25th Anniversary of Paul Dickov Day

Saw that, still not having it.

If not us then who would have taken on COMS?

We were getting 30k in Division 2.

I hardly think Paul Dickov secured the Commonwealth Games for Manchester!
They would have built a temporary stadium for the games if we hadn’t moved there

Remember it so well for a number of reasons my Dad had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and my head was all over the place.
He used to take me to Maine Rd and when he stopped going I carried on.
He used to say I don't know why you bother son they'll never win anything.
If only I could half an hour with him to tell him about our recent success.

It’s hard to explain how sickening being 2-0 down was at Wembley. This game was not the turning point. The turning point was 5 months earlier, beating stoke on Boxing Day. We’d spent the spring in real hope but had watched Man United win their treble in the background. We were massive favourites to win that play off final.

To sit there at 2-0, after all the hope, all the excitement and all the tension of that game, thinking “they’ve let me down again”. I swear it was the lowest of all the lows for me. Worse than the relegations that preceded it.

And the joy when hope was reborn, when it had been lost. The magic of the way we did it. Wow it was something to experience. But if you weren’t a part of it, if you hadn’t invested yourself in the 4 or 5 years before this game, as Man United rose and we fell…you’d never understand what that game, distilled in that moment of magic, meant.
Superb post. Echoes my thoughts but small correction it was Wrexham away on Boxing Day and the Wiekens goal to win it and then that famous second half comeback home to Stoke a couple of days later. Something happened within us fans that second half that I won’t forget - it was like “this and no more”

I've never celebrated like I did with that goal, even the Aguerrrooooo goal. I went absolutely fucking mental! I was with about 50 lads and I remember they were trying to usher me out of the ground at 0-2.. I wasn't having any of it, I was too busy punching fuck out of my seat tbh. Then we scored and that sent me even more mad, screaming why the fuck score now you useless cunts etc etc..I genuinely thought the Horlock goal was going to be the last kick of the game.. I was still getting calls off the lads to do one with em, but I was in Mr fucking angry/martyr/fuck off world mode and I wasn't going anywhere. Then the whole world stood still for a split second, I watched in disbelief as Dickovs shot flew into the top corner, I genuinely can not put into words what I was feeling at that moment. I've never seen celebrations like it,I ended about 6 or 7 rows and even got a cheeky snog of some half decent blonde sort, it was absolute fucking bedlam. I knew at that point we'd go up, and just knew Gillingham were done. What a fucking day that was, a quarter of a century ago. CTIFD.
Great post. “Blonde sort” male or female!

Superb post. Echoes my thoughts but small correction it was Wrexham away on Boxing Day and the Wiekens goal to win it and then that famous second half comeback home to Stoke a couple of days later. Something happened within us fans that second half that I won’t forget - it was like “this and no more”

Yep definitely Wrexham. I was in the home end on a corporate, which tbf was a cooked breakfast and a seat in the main stand. Was under strict instruction not to show any emotion of city score. Needless to say when wiekens scored i was up off my seat going mental. I must have been 17 or 18 at the time.

Never got this attitude and never will.

For me we would have gone up following season.

A lot of Teams spend a couple of years in a Division they are unaccustomed to, us included.

Great day and drama but it's overplayed, we won a lower league play off which is not our level!

Do Rags or Dippers celebrate their seasons in Division 2, (there have been plenty) do they fuck, airbrushed from history.

Celebrating this makes us look small time, we nearly won the league title in '77 and the Cup in '81. Missed out on Europe twice thanks to the Dippers, these are times that could have defined the Club.

Don't forget, any English team entering the European Cup in the 70's and 80's had a bloody good chance of winning it, it was literally easier to win at that time than the League Cup.

I was there at Wembley and loved it but it is not a high point in our history
Wow!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.