Happy 80th Birthday Alan Oakes

Can't remember the game but I can recall him smashing in a left footer into the corner. He didn't score many but when he did . . . . . .!
Middlesbrough in the LC semi at Maine Road?

And Oakes was the manager at Chester when he tipped Big Mal off about Ian Rush - only for Allison not to rate the player.......

Big Joe was in the squad then, wasn’t he? Or are we just thinking about the recognised first XI?
Knew it was Harry Dowd and Ken Mulhearn and on checking Big Joe was in the squad. Well remembered I thought he had joined later.
P.S. Happy Birthday Alan.

Very, very underrated player. The Bell/Lee/Summerbee trio got all the praise in that era, but Oakesy was a very cultured player. You don't play nearly 700 games for the club if you don't know your way around a pitch. Happy birthday Alan, here's to many more of them.
My old neighbours (R.I.P Amy and George) used to say exactly the same thing Jim, I was a young lad in the 70’s so like many others I was more focused on Bell/Lee/Summerbee but they would rave about Alan and always said he was a class act.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Alan, have a great day with many more to come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.