Happy Backheel Day - 49 years ago today!

By the time of that game there was segregation at many grounds from memory. There was little / none in the Scoreboard End right from the start and it was kicking off all the way through the game. It went up many levels after the Law goal as loads of Rags moved in from both sides and then even more when the pitch was invaded.

We could have done with Mike Doyle in there with us. That iconic photo of him walking off the pitch with hundreds of Rags around him with none of them prepared to have a pop is brilliant.View attachment 107910
There was certainly no segregation at Old Trafford or Maine Road or, for that matter, most grounds back then. They were not set up for it.

The League matches were rarely all-ticket. Attendances were not that high and stadium capacities were generally very large.

Even if matches were all ticket, people could often move around the stadium within the standing areas.

The other myth is that Law was so devastated that he never played again, when he actually played (and scored) for City the following August v Sheffield United in the Anglo Scottish Cup.
It was only when Tony Book made it clear that Law didn't feature in his plans for 74-75 when the curtain was finally drawn.
He was in the 1974 World Cup finals for Scotland too

There was certainly no segregation at Old Trafford or Maine Road or, for that matter, most grounds back then. They were not set up for it.

The League matches were rarely all-ticket. Attendances were not that high and stadium capacities were generally very large.

Even if matches were all ticket, people could often move around the stadium within the standing areas.
Maybe not physical segregation such as fences etc but for games like that you'd have police keeping the two sets of fans apart. I remember a home derby a few years earlier when me and my mate got to the top of the Kippax just before kick off. There were two lines of coppers on either side of the steps all the way to the front and on one side there were our fans all with skinhead cuts, denim jackets and jeans and blue scarves around their necks and the other side was Rags dressed identically but with red scarves around their necks. Was an interesting period to say the least.

The match were are discussing basically had no police presence and it was a free for all.

Recall Alan Potter hosting a relegation party at the Windmill in Denton West End
I was there ....what a laugh.

I was at West End School with Alan.

‘Potters Tours’ were legendary with him driving sat on a crate of ale.

They went everywhere when we were full on shite,how they all got home to Denton remains a mystery.

Is Alan still alive ?

I was too young, but my Uncle (RIP) was there that day and he went on about it at family gatherings for years. He was adamant that everyone there inside The Swamp thought that the back heel sent the Rags down (only later that they could take solace in that they were down even if they’d won)

He also reckoned Law was seen out in Pips nightclub that night with Buzzer & Best enjoying himself and not the ‘devastated’ myth that has been widely narrated.

Can anyone vouch for this nightclub and if it was still open in 74’?
Pips existed alright, was pretty trendy for the time. Had separate rooms for different types of music. Was close to Manchester Cathedral

I was in the score board end that day, and there was segregation, however you could walk along the back from one area to another, those rag twats came in before the kick off, at half time and throughout the game, it was our end but they were determined to get in and they did, the only good thing was the score and them going down.

I was there ....what a laugh.

I was at West End School with Alan.

‘Potters Tours’ were legendary with him driving sat on a crate of ale.

They went everywhere when we were full on shite,how they all got home to Denton remains a mystery.

Is Alan still alive ?
I grew up with “Tank” he lived round the corner from me on Farley Avenue in Gorton I was a few years younger but me and my mates spent our lives playing football in Debdale park every night we used to have great games with Al and all his mates we even both went to William Hulme. I’m sure he’s still alive last saw him in Mother Macks about 3 years back think he goes in there for a pint albeit have heard City fucked the place off recently. Pretty sure if we had lost him it would be well communicated everywhere so can only hope he’s still around. I went to West End left in 1968

I was in the score board end that day, and there was segregation, however you could walk along the back from one area to another, those rag twats came in before the kick off, at half time and throughout the game, it was our end but they were determined to get in and they did, the only good thing was the score and them going down.
I don’t see how there could be segregation if you could walk from one area to another. I was behind the goal fairly near the front just to the right of the posts. It was certainly majority City in there but nowhere near 100%. Most rags there were fairly quiet, at least until the nutters arrived near the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.