Happy Backheel Day - 49 years ago today!

Got very tasty in the Scoreboard End. Hardly any segregation from the start and after Law scored there was a massive invasion of Red cunts. I was young and daft then so me and my two mates stayed until the end even though it was like the Alamo :)
Same mate. My dad was in the main stand and I was on my own in Scoreboard End, aged 15. As the hoard charged over the pitch I basically what myself and went towards a copper. No lie, he was my cousin Paul and he looked after me and saw me out of the ground.

Wish everyone under 40 on this forum had enjoyed the football education us FOC enjoyed. Love my club.

I don’t see how there could be segregation if you could walk from one area to another. I was behind the goal fairly near the front just to the right of the posts. It was certainly majority City in there but nowhere near 100%. Most rags there were fairly quiet, at least until the nutters arrived near the end.
Believe me there was segregation, but the gates to each pen were open. The scoreboard was allocated to City but they came in and were intent on trouble, they got tickets and ran in before the game and during the game, we were overrun. Look at the pictures when we scored ?, no blues behind the goals, we had to move to the outer pens in each corner. Again if you look at the pictures you will see the fencing, there were at least three pens, one in the middle and two on each side, We started behind the goals and ended up in the corner, it was manic, a lot of Blues left early.

Believe me there was segregation, but the gates to each pen were open. The scoreboard was allocated to City but they came in and were intent on trouble, they got tickets and ran in before the game and during the game, we were overrun. Look at the pictures when we scored ?, no blues behind the goals, we had to move to the outer pens in each corner. Again if you look at the pictures you will see the fencing, there were at least three pens, one in the middle and two on each side, We started behind the goals and ended up in the corner, it was manic, a lot of Blues left early.
Spot on. That's exactly how it was.

Those of us who stayed were fighting a rearguard action but I'm still glad I stopped until the very end (even after the 'early' final whistle).

Me and my mates went drinking in town afterwards and that was carnage too. I wasn't part of any crew ever but at that time you had to be prepared to defend yourself as it could, and did, kick off anywhere you went.

I must be remembering it different from you. I stayed in the same place throughout the match. I remained there until the Denis Law goal and the abandonment of the match.

I only encountered problems after the match was abandoned and that was at Warwick Road railway station.

I recall the match well as City had gone to Old Trafford for seven years between 1968 and 1974 and won six and drawn one.

I haven’t been to Old Trafford since 1974 and doubt I will ever go again. That is unless City draw United away in the FA Cup!

I was there with my younger sister's boyfriend at the Old Trafford end. We escaped at full time without injury which was quiote a surprise as we had big grins on our faces.

Blow me down - in October we will have lived in New Zealand for 50 years - doesn't time fly!

Denis Law | On That Backheel Goal | v Man Utd in 1974 - YouTube

What a glorious day for Manchester.

I must be remembering it different from you. I stayed in the same place throughout the match. I remained there until the Denis Law goal and the abandonment of the match.

I only encountered problems after the match was abandoned and that was at Warwick Road railway station.

I recall the match well as City had gone to Old Trafford for seven years between 1968 and 1974 and won six and drawn one.

I haven’t been to Old Trafford since 1974 and doubt I will ever go again. That is unless City draw United away in the FA Cup!
I was right behind the goal when Law scored and stayed more or less there until after the game had ended. Most Blues left then and loads more Rags invaded so there was lots of fighting. We were massively outnumbered so it was a case of sticking together and dishing out whatever you could. I had a few bumps and bruises but nothing major fortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.