Happy International Atheist Day, March 23

I don't believe in god but to me there is nothing more annoying than a professional atheist, nobody cares mate. Some of the most smug people you will ever meet
Professional atheists fall into the same category as professional scousers, geordies and Glaswegians.

Two books I have acquired but not yet read. Am going to have a crack at them both in a month or so.

First of all, for my money, David Hume is the greatest of all irreligious Western thinkers.

View attachment 111365

But panpsychism currently seems to be regarded as a serious competitor to both atheism and classical theism.

View attachment 111366

'Why are we here? What's the point of existence? On the 'big questions' of meaning and purpose, Western thought has been dominated by the dichotomy of traditional religion and secular atheism. In this pioneering work, Philip Goff argues that it is time to move on from both God and atheism. Through an exploration of contemporary cosmology and cutting-edge philosophical research on consciousness, Goff argues for cosmic purpose: the idea that the universe is directed towards certain goals, such as the emergence of life.

In contrast to religious thinkers, Goff argues that the traditional God is a bad explanation of cosmic purpose. Instead, he explores a range of alternative possibilities for accounting for cosmic purpose, from the speculation that we live in a computer simulation to the hypothesis that the universe itself is a conscious mind. Goff scrutinizes these options with analytical rigour, laying the foundations for a new paradigm of philosophical enquiry into the middle ground between God and atheism. Ultimately, Goff outlines a way of living in hope that cosmic purpose is still unfolding, involving political engagement and a non-literalist interpretation of traditional religion.'

Goff's book has been well-received, even by reviewers who disagree with him. So it will be interesting to find out what he has to say.
from that brief synopsis I'd say Goff has been smoking too much and all he's doing is expanding on the theory posited in National Lampoons Animal House

Ye, agreed. Read a few, Christopher hitchens did a good one as well.
Dawkins is an exceptional writer. The Greatest Show on Earth is essential reading for everyone.

I used to be an atheist, and read his work when I was. As I've gotten older I've leaned more towards agnosticism; primarily because we don't have definitive answers, and we never will have definitive answers. I think the issue is people conflate spiritual belief with religious fanaticism. But you can believe in omnipotent power and not regiment your life slavishly to scripture and church attendance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.