Happy International Atheist Day, March 23

Dawkins is an exceptional writer. The Greatest Show on Earth is essential reading for everyone.

I used to be an atheist, and read his work when I was. As I've gotten older I've leaned more towards agnosticism; primarily because we don't have definitive answers, and we never will have definitive answers. I think the issue is people conflate spiritual belief with religious fanaticism. But you can believe in omnipotent power and not regiment your life slavishly to scripture and church attendance.

Interestingly, I would say I am in exactly the same boat as you and agree with everything you've said, but I would still describe myself as an atheist.

You can be agnostic and atheist at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive - in fact I'd wager most atheists are agnostic. The people who profess definitively that there is no god with 100% certainty are what I would call antitheists or "strong atheist" as Dawkins would call it and I don't really know of many of those as that's a fairly extreme position to take. Dawkins doesn't even class himself as one.

I think the fact we're all using different words to describe the same things really doesn't help in this arena.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.