Happy St George's Day

Still not solely British.
What's your point?

St Andrew wasn't Scottish. St Patrick wasn't Irish. They're patron saints whose deeds resonate with the Christian believers of that populous. St George isn't Ethiopian, Catalonian, Portuguese or Georgian yet they still celebrate him.

A Patron Saint doesn't have to be born of the nation in which they are celebrated as that nations chosen representative as a saint, do they? Those who celebrate him on this day don't care that St George was a Cappadocian Greek who fought against a tyrant who persecuted Christians, so why do you care that he wasn't 'English'?

What's your point?

St Andrew wasn't Scottish. St Patrick wasn't Irish. They're patron saints whose deeds resonate with the Christian believers of that populous. St George isn't Ethiopian, Catalonian, Portuguese or Georgian yet they still celebrate him.

A Patron Saint doesn't have to be born of the nation in which they are celebrated as that nations chosen representative as a saint, do they? Those who celebrate him on this day don't care that St George was a Cappadocian Greek who fought against a tyrant who persecuted Christians, so why do you care that he wasn't 'English'?
Not arsed either way to be honest and I am English.

Not arsed either way to be honest and I am English.
I care about facts and being historically accurate and the "St GeOrGe wAs TuRkIsH" diatribe is, in my experience, often spoken by a certain mindset of a person.

I'm not a Christian so I don't celebrate him, but cannot deny that St George's place amongst English cultural history and its place within its culture is absolute. Why mock it, unless....

In any case, Happy St George's Day to those who celebrate the man specificially for his Christian significance!

I personally celebrate today as a day for celebrating the nation of England.

As George doesn't seem to be to everyone's liking, we could pick someone else...

King Arthur,
Robin Hood,
Peter Pan,
Winning the Pooh,
Paddington,

... I feel a referendum on this subject could unite the country around a single candidate.

A bit like the one we had in 2016; you never hear remainers going on about it do you? They accepted they lost and have moved on with good grace.

Sorry I'm going off topic.

Great band, fucking tune but not sure why you felt it was needed in this thread in off topic?

Its as if you’re desperately trying to make a political statement and steer the debate?
you have me wrong.

i've been posting lots of paintings,
did you think that was also me trying to steer the debate?

it was just a song about nazis being knobheads,
which is what they are being today.

here's some paintings to cheer you up

bde4f5bf7908768bbc13efc031da0720.jpg

s-l1200.webp

71p+JFnuZqL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Fine-Art-Saint-George-and-the-Dragon-Original-Religious-Oil-Painting-on-Canvas-by-artist-Darko-Topalski.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.