Harry Kane

I think this is done and Levy is on board with Kane leaving. No way he would have an interview like that otherwise or clapping the supporters like he did yesterday. Even the hugs from his team mates suggest this is done. In theory Levy could play hardball, but I think everything is agreed with both Kane and Levy. Especially as we let go of Sergio relatively early as well. Would’ve preferred Haaland but Kane is the better player and been consistent year after year in a very demanding league for a lesser team. He’s gonna be amazing for us, no doubt. And what a player for Delap to learn from.
I agree with this. I was in the camp that thought we wouldn't sign a striker because Levy wouldn't let Kane go, but now with everything we're seeing I've changed my mind. Kane believes there is a gentlemen's agreement. I also think that looking back on the appointment of Mourinho was key. Levy probably thought it might have kept Kane at Spurs because Mourinho was probably their best chance to win a trophy (no matter how turgid they played) and Kane would be happy. Now that it hasn't worked Levy knows Kane doesn't want a rebuilding job.

And if Haaland has decided to stay until next summer?

We cant afford to let Kane go,while hoping Haaland chooses us when the clause kicks in.

That scenario likely means we miss both while seeing two rivals strengthened significantly.
This. Our planning for future years is second to none, but occasionally you need to live in the now. Quite simply, if Harry Kane is available to sign, especially when you have just lost your main striker, how can anyone say no?

Something that I was more or less aware of about Kane, but which has just come into sharp focus for me. Kane has substantially more assists than any of the other leading goalscorers, with the single exception of Fernandes (he's ahead of him, but it's not so startling). I'm not even sure that Haaland competes with him on that. Of course, Haaland is a goalscoring beast, and I'd still prefer to have him (if he's available) on grounds of age alone. He's also extremely strong, and would not be bullied by PL defenders. But Kane would absolutely thrive in sky blue. There's no doubt about it.
I do suspect that the club are looking at shelling out about £100 million, though. (Or someone going the other way, but who'd want to?) You may say, mad in these Covid times, but Levy will hold out for it. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Last edited:
And wrong.

Sorry but you don’t understand business decisions. Did you get this from a text book?
I think he might be right fella. I know fuck all about finance, but players are considered intangible assets in the football world, so what’s been said does make sense to me. But like I said, I know fuck all about finance, I’m just the guy who brings the money into my business. I find finance far too complicated to understand, so leave it to the smart people

I can see this happening very quickly after the CL final, there is no way that we were talking to Levy about Kane in January and then haven't picked up the phone since. I suspect the haggling over the price has been going on for a long time.

I can see this happening very quickly after the CL final, there is no way that we were talking to Levy about Kane in January and then haven't picked up the phone since. I suspect the haggling over the price has been going on for a long time.
i think you're forgetting the fact we haven't picked up the phone to napoli's owner for 2 months last season because his agent said he'll handle things lol. these things aren't always as straightforward as it seems

I’d guess that Dortmund have refused to negotiate on Haaland this summer and we don’t fancy are chances in the auction next summer - perhaps Haaland is nailed on for Bayern?

Signing Kane would be a huge coup for us and with him I can’t see anybody taking the title from us. Interesting that Kane said in his interview with Neville that’s he feels he’s got almost another career ahead of him and he can go to another level - he can only achieve that here under Pep imo.

The ambition Kane’s showed in that interview and in his actions by going public makes me very excited to have him, plus his comments on KDB made it clear that it’s City he wants.

Sorry if you are offended but let me remind you what you wrote:

“The point is that the price paid for a player (purchase fee, signing on bonus, agents fee, taxes etc.) doesn’t take any account of a ‘sell on’ fee because a sell on fee isn’t tangible / no reliance can be placed on one”.

So I ask you: how can you ignore residual value when it permeates the commercial world?

Take player X and player Y, identical in every respect except age. X is 25. Y is 30.

Which one has the higher transfer value? You’re inferring they’re the same. I’m saying X because the implicit sell-on opportunity is factored in.

You talk of reliance and intangibles. Well, as with any investment, everything about a transfer is a calculated gamble based on probability. The new player might turn to shit or get crocked tomorrow. Why is sell-on prospect any different, other than being further away in time?

I’ve been hard on you because you’ve been strident with financial assertions that have no place in any business world I’ve encountered.

I’ve worked on bids in the 100’s of millions,
I’m reasonably competent in Crystal Ball analysis, risk management is my stock in trade.
I’ll spell it out for you:
You buy or effectively lease a player for a term. The only value the leased item has is it’s cost on the books - generally the purchase cost + maintenance cost annualised so that a player with say £250M cost over 5 years has a £50M annual cost.
That asset has a value set against it on the books (in the P&L) which generally reduces, but sometimes increases (as the assets market value moves) but which always does inescapably ends up at £0 at the expiration of the contract.

You come across as being able to count your fingers so I can’t get what you don’t understand about that?
Tell me where I’m supposedly wrong or stop harassing me with puerile nonsense.

And for the record and your education, if we buy Haarland, or Kane or whoever, on say a 5 year contract, the contract we consider in the purchase arrangement is always completed in 5 years.
The age of the player doesn’t come into the equation (other than considering fitness for purpose), the cost of the player, the length of the contract and the players market value are the only factors but at the end of the term all players, it doesn’t matter who they are or how old they are or are not, are worth £0 in the books and also in practice.

If that doesn’t accord with business practices in your world then you’re living in a different reality.

I think this is done and Levy is on board with Kane leaving. No way he would have an interview like that otherwise or clapping the supporters like he did yesterday. Even the hugs from his team mates suggest this is done. In theory Levy could play hardball, but I think everything is agreed with both Kane and Levy. Especially as we let go of Sergio relatively early as well. Would’ve preferred Haaland but Kane is the better player and been consistent year after year in a very demanding league for a lesser team. He’s gonna be amazing for us, no doubt. And what a player for Delap to learn from.

think the only thing needs sorting is the fee that will take a bit to sort out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.