Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or he bides his time and gets sold at a later date that actually suits the club he's contracted to.

We do not want to sell at this moment in time. We've got a fairly decent manager, Vardy is probably in his final season of being able to haul in 20 goals a year. We've got talented players across most positions and some money to spend in areas we need it. It's probably our best chance of cracking top 6 and even with a slice of luck the top 4... you can laugh, but that's how it's viewed. Especially when you consider the fact Arsenal look awful, Chelsea are embargoed and are about to employ someone not even very good at management. Your neighbours have employed someone who wasn't good enough for Cardiff and are signing players who are unlikely to hit the ground running this season. IF we can get Tielemans over the line, get a winger and a back up striker and I honestly think we have a good shot.

This window won't stay open for long though, if has a bit of a now or never feel about pushing high and we've got plenty of competition to do that as Wolves, Everton and West Ham and are putting together half decent squads who can catch a few of the top 6 cold.

So, like Mahrez he will have to wait for his move. Or someone will have to pay silly money to make us move now, because you might consider his fee high. But if we want to go and get a player who has done ok in this league, we'll get quoted £40m for the likes of Dunk.
I think this story is a media creation. Leicester would be lining up a replacement, and Man City would have a fall back option if it was true.

I generally agree with your assessment of the top 6 although I think Frank Lampard is a an impressive individual. Perhaps you don't like him because of the Derby connection? Spurs might kick on in their new stadium.

It can do. At a lower price he would be a great addition to our squad in terms of rotation. But the prices we see quoted you'd expect him to be our best/1st choice cb, which he wouldn't be
He would. That's a matter of opinion. I'd take him at £75m because I think we'd then have our defence sorted for 4-5 seasons and that would be worth its weight in gold/trophies but it looks more like City are going to go with Stones, Laporte, Ota, Garcia and Sandler. It's gamble only if you don't know the squad. Pep will know what his young players can do. If he does not rate them, then Maguire at £75m probably comes into the equation but the fact that it's quiet on that front suggest we're going with what we have.

I think this story is a media creation. Leicester would be lining up a replacement, and Man City would have a fall back option if it was true.

I generally agree with your assessment of the top 6 although I think Frank Lampard is a an impressive individual. Perhaps you don't like him because of the Derby connection? Spurs might kick on in their new stadium.
I like Frank, but Derby were quite frankly average and have one of the biggest budgets in the league. He has a lot to learn and for me it's far too early to be leading a club like Chelsea.

Agree with the media side of it. I'm sure there is probably interest, but the stories are mostly click bait nonsense with minor changes to the same sodding story every day.

Spurs, Liverpool and yourselves (mostly the latter two) are the only clubs I'd touch with a barge pole at the moment if I was a player. Because the others look like basket cases and are in need of huge changes to get their squads right. You move to one of them and you're unlikely to ever get a move beyond them. Chelsea and United are unlikely to ever want to sell to Man City or Liverpool so you're stuck in an underperforming club. I'd bide my time for a move to clubs that are well run and going places.

@foxedup
What are your thoughts on Maguire as a player? Do you think he’s good enough for City? Strengths and weaknesses? Does his lack of mobility cost you guys or could it be a problem for us playing such a high line?

Sorry I sound like a copper with all the questions. Just interested from a Leicester fans perspective. Cheers.

You'd be bonkers to think he was the best in the world and worth the most. But the timing, the fact we're cash rich and in no need to sell just propels the money to ridiculous sums. You either pay the silly money, just as Man United have done for a pretty average right back. Or you take your lucky abroad on unproven players who could be great... or they could be another Bailey / Mangala and just don't work out.

We're not Burnley looking to cash in on players and take the money. As anyone who has an interest in racing will have seen the last year. King Power want the glory and will keep doing what they can to make it happen, they are eying the top six long term and are investing right across the club to make it happen. A ground expansion, fan zone and arena are planned for the next few years around the ground. The construction of the new training facilities are already under way, which aims to be one of the best in the world (with players hotel and 9 hole golf course included ha).

I know what they are trying to do goes under the radar slightly as they are trying to grow things relatively naturally rather than a short burst of large investment (nothing wrong with that by the way). But they are very serious and constantly selling assets doesn't fit into what they want to achieve.

4DAFAEF900000578-5892513-image-a-6_1530111935500.jpg

4DAFAE9800000578-5892513-image-a-1_1530111931316.jpg

4DAFAED600000578-5892513-image-a-4_1530111933132.jpg

Good post mate.

You'd be bonkers to think he was the best in the world and worth the most. But the timing, the fact we're cash rich and in no need to sell just propels the money to ridiculous sums. You either pay the silly money, just as Man United have done for a pretty average right back. Or you take your lucky abroad on unproven players who could be great... or they could be another Bailey / Mangala and just don't work out.

We're not Burnley looking to cash in on players and take the money. As anyone who has an interest in racing will have seen the last year. King Power want the glory and will keep doing what they can to make it happen, they are eying the top six long term and are investing right across the club to make it happen. A ground expansion, fan zone and arena are planned for the next few years around the ground. The construction of the new training facilities are already under way, which aims to be one of the best in the world (with players hotel and 9 hole golf course included ha).

I know what they are trying to do goes under the radar slightly as they are trying to grow things relatively naturally rather than a short burst of large investment (nothing wrong with that by the way). But they are very serious and constantly selling assets doesn't fit into what they want to achieve.

4DAFAEF900000578-5892513-image-a-6_1530111935500.jpg

4DAFAE9800000578-5892513-image-a-1_1530111931316.jpg

4DAFAED600000578-5892513-image-a-4_1530111933132.jpg
Have you evicted The Teletubbies?

He would. That's a matter of opinion. I'd take him at £75m because I think we'd then have our defence sorted for 4-5 seasons and that would be worth its weight in gold/trophies but it looks more like City are going to go with Stones, Laporte, Ota, Garcia and Sandler. It's gamble only if you don't know the squad. Pep will know what his young players can do. If he does not rate them, then Maguire at £75m probably comes into the equation but the fact that it's quiet on that front suggest we're going with what we have.

Ota AND Sandler needs another non HG leaving.

Sandler instead of Ota is not realistic. Or is it??

Maguire and Sandler with Delph and Ota leaving would be possible. But a step down from Vicent+Ota.

CB is the only position IMO that is difficult to improve compared to last season
related to HG quota - without paying big for Maguire.

Last edited:
Or he bides his time and gets sold at a later date that actually suits the club he's contracted to.

We do not want to sell at this moment in time. We've got a fairly decent manager, Vardy is probably in his final season of being able to haul in 20 goals a year. We've got talented players across most positions and some money to spend in areas we need it. It's probably our best chance of cracking top 6 and even with a slice of luck the top 4... you can laugh, but that's how it's viewed. Especially when you consider the fact Arsenal look awful, Chelsea are embargoed and are about to employ someone not even very good at management. Your neighbours have employed someone who wasn't good enough for Cardiff and are signing players who are unlikely to hit the ground running this season. IF we can get Tielemans over the line, get a winger and a back up striker and I honestly think we have a good shot.

This window won't stay open for long though, if has a bit of a now or never feel about pushing high and we've got plenty of competition to do that as Wolves, Everton and West Ham and are putting together half decent squads who can catch a few of the top 6 cold.

So, like Mahrez he will have to wait for his move. Or someone will have to pay silly money to make us move now, because you might consider his fee high. But if we want to go and get a player who has done ok in this league, we'll get quoted £40m for the likes of Dunk.
I was thinking, if Leicester didn't have Maguire, could they afford to spend 60m on a CB? Probably not, so how can they afford not to sell one for that price?

However, you make some good points. If you can get 69m now, you can get 60m next season, so why not hold on to him for another season.

Does Maguire want the move though? That's the question.

Everyone should watch Jonathan Tah tonight in the Germany u21.

He's bigger, faster, 3 years younger and has more top flight experience + much more European experience than Maguire, and would probably cost £40-50m. For my money he's a much better passer and just as capable of bringing the ball out from the back.

For the money quoted I'd prefer Tah or Elvedi over Maguire all day long. Obviously though one of those two would only happen if Nico or another foreign player leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.