Has ebay lost its way?

I won't sell with them. Taking the piss with their 10.9% sales commission. Plus they even charge that on your postage, so if I charge you 12 quid for postage and you pay me 12 quid they take 10.9% of that 12 quid. And then they hold onto your money for a month in case the buyer isn't happy ?? Fuck that.

I want to sell my as new Samsung S23 ultra but they would charge me $130 so no chance, I'll do Marketplace and Gumtree for free.
I think PayPal takes a cut of your eBay sale also?

I won't sell with them. Taking the piss with their 10.9% sales commission. Plus they even charge that on your postage, so if I charge you 12 quid for postage and you pay me 12 quid they take 10.9% of that 12 quid. And then they hold onto your money for a month in case the buyer isn't happy ?? Fuck that.

I want to sell my as new Samsung S23 ultra but they would charge me $130 so no chance, I'll do Marketplace and Gumtree for free.

Not sure they'll miss your business of selling something every 6 - 12 months.

10.9 % is piss cheap, you want to try and sell on Amazon and Etsy

10.9 % is piss cheap, you want to try and sell on Amazon and Etsy
I've never tried that mate. I used to sell quite a lot of guitars on Ebay plus things like keyboards, amps,effects pedals etc but for me they have ruined the model and made it harder for private sellers.

Because you're a low value seller. You can sell a high value item but if it's a few times a year, you aren't worth as much as a small business selling items worth 5-20 pounds items several times a day. Or a side hustle of someone selling a few items a week.
I used to sell a lot but don't use them anymore because of the fee's and holding onto my money for weeks. I was merely answering the OP with my particular experience and opinion.
Not saying they would miss me.

Reactions: BTH
I think PayPal takes a cut of your eBay sale also?
No longer PayPal, payments to a bank account (might be compulsory, I know I set one up).

What has killed it
(after the ever rising ebay fees, ditto Post Office charges) is the threat of the Tax Man snooping on private sellers.

It's a ridiculously low figure (30 sales a year or something like that) before ebay has a Duty to report a seller and the tax may investigate someone for running a business!

Made a lot of private sellers wary, rightly so, fuckin cunts.

It’s a pain in the arse but if you’re looking for something really obscure and niche it’s hard to beat.

I buy a lot of cycling and outdoors gear and it’s the best place to get hard to find stuff.

Selling is a nightmare though. I only sell the odd thing but it’s a minefield of scammers and time wasters and massive fees.

And it feels like their website still runs on Windows 95.

The mrs uses depop and Vinted a lot but that’s just designer fashion stuff, she’s always buying and selling clobber from trendy French brands I’ve never even heard of.

But then my fashion sense extends to whatever’s in John Lewis.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.