Has our fan base become spoilt?

The VAR decision was gutting, especially as it came so late AND it was against Spurs again but VAR didn’t have a say in the other 29 shots we had. We should have had the game sewn up well before the last few minutes. Second game of the season against a top six side and we were a bit rusty in front of goal. I’ll hazard a guess that come the end of the season that we will be OK; VAR or no VAR so let’s just dust ourselves down and get on with it.
Yes we missed chances and have only ourselves to blame for that, however, in light of the Sterling booking don't you think those responsible for not asking the ref to review the challenge on Rodri owe us an explanation?

The VAR decision was gutting, especially as it came so late AND it was against Spurs again but VAR didn’t have a say in the other 29 shots we had. We should have had the game sewn up well before the last few minutes. Second game of the season against a top six side and we were a bit rusty in front of goal. I’ll hazard a guess that come the end of the season that we will be OK; VAR or no VAR so let’s just dust ourselves down and get on with it.
I agree with dusting ourselves down and getting on with it but dropped points really isn't the issue. At 85 minutes, with both teams looking a bit 'early-season' leggy, I would have taken 2-2. At the end, though, I was thoroughly shaken up. The issue is how VAR changes the experience for the fans and it is a substantial change. If fans are happy to accept that last minute, and late, winners, can no longer be enjoyed by everyone, together, until the invisible authorities say so, then that's fine. I won't be one of them. I'm steeling myself for the announcement that VAR is here to stay, I really am. They'll do that and in ten years wonder why attendances are in decline. Those that cannot accept the changes might be filled by new fans but it's a risky strategy.

Well this was evident some time ago when many of the fans not all, became quite arrogant and entitled. The VAR issue is part of it but I dun want to group them together because VAR is new and an issue for not just us but other clubs too.

On page one of this forum, we have the following threads;

1. Is the game bent?
2. VAR debate 2019/20
3. Seasoncard for sale (because of VAR)
4. Request a bet: VAR to disallow a City goal
5. Will VAR lead to increased football violence
6. Is it time for SKY to ban Gary Neville from commentating on City games?
7. VAR impact and consequence log
8. Jesus offside goal vs West Ham - explanation in the Mail
9. Did you celebrate?

We’ve drawn a game at home to a top 4 team because of a rule change that we were crying out for this time last year.

The Rodri challenge was a penalty but we’ve been denied a thousand penalties before without the hysteria that we’ve seen in the last 24 hours on here.

So the question is - has success turned our fans into a load of fannies?

I agree with dusting ourselves down and getting on with it but dropped points really isn't the issue. At 85 minutes, with both teams looking a bit 'early-season' leggy, I would have taken 2-2. At the end, though, I was thoroughly shaken up. The issue is how VAR changes the experience for the fans and it is a substantial change. If fans are happy to accept that last minute, and late, winners, can no longer be enjoyed by everyone, together, until the invisible authorities say so, then that's fine. I won't be one of them. I'm steeling myself for the announcement that VAR is here to stay, I really am. They'll do that and in ten years wonder why attendances are in decline. Those that cannot accept the changes might be filled by new fans but it's a risky strategy.
Its the manner of the result rather than the dropping of the points. We all know these things happen and sometimes teams get a result that is well against the run of play - as blues most of our lives have been spent hoping for such results to avoid relegation! To answer the op, I think we are a little spoiled. There are occasionally posts on here that smack of ' not arrogant, just better' ect, but they are usually met with a bit of gentle leg pulling and I think as a fanbase we still have at least one foot on the floor. The difficulty may be not turning into that which we despise once the fanbase are largely all born post 2000 and haven't seen the dark days (fingers crossed).

Yes they have. I know many an old school Blue with a "win or lose... on the booze" mentality long gone. After a defeat, or even a draw, they storm off home like a sulking child and behave like it for days afterwards. We're turning in to what we used to despise. I see it everywhere. The game, the pub, online...

On page one of this forum, we have the following threads;

1. Is the game bent?
2. VAR debate 2019/20
3. Seasoncard for sale (because of VAR)
4. Request a bet: VAR to disallow a City goal
5. Will VAR lead to increased football violence
6. Is it time for SKY to ban Gary Neville from commentating on City games?
7. VAR impact and consequence log
8. Jesus offside goal vs West Ham - explanation in the Mail
9. Did you celebrate?

We’ve drawn a game at home to a top 4 team because of a rule change that we were crying out for this time last year.

The Rodri challenge was a penalty but we’ve been denied a thousand penalties before without the hysteria that we’ve seen in the last 24 hours on here.

So the question is - has success turned our fans into a load of fannies?
What’s the question?

Have we become spoilt like the thread title says?

Or have we become fannies like your post says?

Also no football fan has been crying out for the new handball rule change where the advantage goes to the defending team.

And most fans have not wanted VAR to come in full stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you haven't read the OP.

The question about celebrating goals is legitimate. The moment a goal is scored I jump and celebrate but not with wild abandon because I know a minute later it could be disallowed.

This is not a City thing although City fans are much further down this route because we have exoerienced this more than anyone else.

Whilst not a conspiracy, I do think refs have an easier time ruling against City than other teams and that's got nothing to do with VAR.

Nah, there is too much flapping that VAR/referees will screw us over. We've won 5 of the last 5 trophies on offer in England and could have won the CL if Kun had scored that pen given by VAR (!). A team can't win 100 and 98 pts if the referees are instructed to stop it. Conspiracy thinking and pessimism are getting the better of many posters.

Whether VAR is good for football is another issue. Let's not conflate it with the fear that we'll lose the title due to VAR/referee decisions.

Yes they have. I know many an old school Blue with a "win or lose... on the booze" mentality long gone. After a defeat, or even a draw, they storm off home like a sulking child and behave like it for days afterwards. We're turning in to what we used to despise. I see it everywhere. The game, the pub, online...

Sometimes you come out with a load of shit, this post was one of the times, so the old boys who used to 'win or lose, on the booze now storm off like a sulking child, I can tell you that when ever we have lost I have always stormed off like a sulking child, I am passionate about City, it really gets me down when we lose, it always has and it always will. At the moment though it is the way we are being denied a victory. Losing at home to Bury hurt because we were just shit but being screwed over because VAR went for a coffee is far worse.

Sorry but I've literally NEVER heard ANYBODY say

"you know what would be good? If the attackers and defenders were subjected to different rules, and goals were ruled out for accidental handballs by attackers, but pens were not given for accidental handballs by defenders. Also, it'd be great if no-one knew wtf was going on while all this is decided"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.