Has our fan base become spoilt?

I don't think we have changed too much at all; at least not those who have been around for awhile. The suporter base will be expanding though...

There was a lovely call on 606 which I caught the end of as we drove away from game on Saturday. A proper old school City supporter. Don't remember exact words but I think Chris Sutton asked if city supporters were just up in arms about Spurs result because we are scared of Liverpool? The Blue came back something along lines of with I've watched Jamie Pollock play in midfield for us in third tier, I'm not worried if we don't win anything; it's not a big deal. Took wind right out of Sutton.

We have been spoilt though by the gifts given us but I don't think it has made us spoilt. We always had plenty of whingers and there are just different "problems" to whinge about.

VAR is literally a whole new ball game and I'm appalled by it.

On page one of this forum, we have the following threads;

1. Is the game bent?
2. VAR debate 2019/20
3. Seasoncard for sale (because of VAR)
4. Request a bet: VAR to disallow a City goal
5. Will VAR lead to increased football violence
6. Is it time for SKY to ban Gary Neville from commentating on City games?
7. VAR impact and consequence log
8. Jesus offside goal vs West Ham - explanation in the Mail
9. Did you celebrate?

We’ve drawn a game at home to a top 4 team because of a rule change that we were crying out for this time last year.

The Rodri challenge was a penalty but we’ve been denied a thousand penalties before without the hysteria that we’ve seen in the last 24 hours on here.

So the question is - has success turned our fans into a load of fannies?

The answer, in some case, is yes. But the VAR issue is separate for me. I, and some others, are not saying City are being cheated by VAR; we are saying that it is sucking the joy out of the game and perverting it for all fans.

Last edited:
Then you haven't read the OP.

The question about celebrating goals is legitimate. The moment a goal is scored I jump and celebrate but not with wild abandon because I know a minute later it could be disallowed.

This is not a City thing although City fans are much further down this route because we have exoerienced this more than anyone else.

Whilst not a conspiracy, I do think refs have an easier time ruling against City than other teams and that's got nothing to do with VAR.

VAR is getting everywhere at the moment and that is inevitable to a degree because it is new and a huge change. However, the impact on goal celebrations is a real cause for concern and should concern all match going fans in particular. We just happen to have been the team most affected so far and so have made the most noise but other teams will get their turn soon enough.

VAR is getting everywhere at the moment and that is inevitable to a degree because it is new and a huge change. However, the impact on goal celebrations is a real cause for concern and should concern all match going fans in particular. We just happen to have been the team most affected so far and so have made the most noise but other teams will get their turn soon enough.
This is the biggest thing for me.

I’ve spent two days learning that new handball rule properly (Laporte didn’t gain possession/control of the ball so it should have been a goal, by the way!) but really the biggest thing about VAR is not the fine intricacies of 1.35mm offside or whether it’s handball or not... it’s that all goals have now been ruined by VAR, even if the goal stands, because you cannot celebrate the goals properly anymore.

Celebrating goals is the best thing in the world. The exhilaration of the ball hitting the net - it’s over now. The best thing in the world is ruined!

Every time the ball hits the net everyone is going to half celebrate, if celebrate at all, and think “is it going to be disallowed?!”

If this carries on and VAR is going to stay, then I’m not going to remain a football fan.

That’s not being spoilt, or a fanny. That’s the game being ruined by something most fans never even wanted in the first place.

Sometimes you come out with a load of shit, this post was one of the times, so the old boys who used to 'win or lose, on the booze now storm off like a sulking child, I can tell you that when ever we have lost I have always stormed off like a sulking child, I am passionate about City, it really gets me down when we lose, it always has and it always will. At the moment though it is the way we are being denied a victory. Losing at home to Bury hurt because we were just shit but being screwed over because VAR went for a coffee is far worse.
Christ that Bury match was the worst. After that game I had what can only be described as a temper tantrum. In those days I was living in Scotland and travelling hundreds of miles to every home match (and most aways) I drove back north in total silence till Carlisle services. I got out of the car there and started screaming at the top of my voice in the car park. I actually thought I was losing my mind. You have cheered me up today because, gutted though I was on Saturday, nothing will ever be as bad as that Bury match!

Sorry but I've literally NEVER heard ANYBODY say

"you know what would be good? If the attackers and defenders were subjected to different rules, and goals were ruled out for accidental handballs by attackers, but pens were not given for accidental handballs by defenders. Also, it'd be great if no-one knew wtf was going on while all this is decided"

Also Kev28 is missing the point. If we got a decent deal from the VAR man I wouldn't mind, but when, as Pep said, he goes for a coffee when it would have benefitted us but is all Specsavers when it is against us we have a right to moan and be pissed off.

Christ that Bury match was the worst. After that game I had what can only be described as a temper tantrum. In those days I was living in Scotland and travelling hundreds of miles to every home match (and most aways) I drove back north in total silence till Carlisle services. I got out of the car there and started screaming at the top of my voice in the car park. I actually thought I was losing my mind. You have cheered me up today because, gutted though I was on Saturday, nothing will ever be as bad as that Bury match!

Just another quick memory then, three of us went everywhere watching shite ergh sorry City but after York away my mate declared enough was enough, he couldn't take aways anymore. He booked a holiday abroad to coincide with the season ending and missed Wembley !!

Read your opening post again where you state that the last two matches against Spurs have been spoilt by VAR and it has ruined you and your daughters’ day.

In reply to the poster who asked what the title has to do with the opening post, I believe that SOME of our fans are gaining a sense of entitlement. The Gary Neville ban thread is one example. He was laughing in much the same way as Hugo Lloris was yesterday - because they couldn’t believe what was going on.

If you read the Gary Neville thread, almost none of it was about him laughing. It is 99% about him calling City out for 'tactical fouls' but never any other team. if you honestly think that a lifetime United fan and ex-United player creating a narrative about City players wouldn't have been a problem in the 80s, 90s, or any other era, then I think you've got short memories.

So rather than slag off fellow City fans who are pissed off that we seem to be the only club criticised for something everyone else does (not mentioning all the other City fans you're slagging off for having problems with VAR, facial recognition etc), and a narrative which City's own manager has publicly slated time and time again, why don't you focus your attention outwards and ask whether Neville has ever mentioned it in relation to any other club?

This is the biggest thing for me.

I’ve spent two days learning that new handball rule properly (Laporte didn’t gain possession/control of the ball so it should have been a goal, by the way!) but really the biggest thing about VAR is not the fine intricacies of 1.35mm offside or whether it’s handball or not... it’s that all goals have now been ruined by VAR, even if the goal stands, because you cannot celebrate the goals properly anymore.

Celebrating goals is the best thing in the world. The exhilaration of the ball hitting the net - it’s over now. The best thing in the world is ruined!

Every time the ball hits the net everyone is going to half celebrate, if celebrate at all, and think “is it going to be disallowed?!”

If this carries on and VAR is going to stay, then I’m not going to remain a football fan.

That’s not being spoilt, or a fanny. That’s the game being ruined by something most fans never even wanted in the first place.

I've not bothered reviewing handball rule closely; although I will download the rules - as I do most seasons - and have a look. However, whether they were interpreted correctly or not, the new rule has gone too far and should not make what LaPorte did a handball offence. It also seems to me it's very hard to tell that it was even an accidental handball.

But put aside those concerns the time it took to decide was obscene in my view.

It won't stop me going to watch City but VAR is a bigger passion killer than Ena Sharples in a night shirt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.