"Hate" at football. Why?

The Pink Panther

Thinking about Blackburn the other night really. They're 2-1 down and hundreds of Blackburn fans are showing immense anger and hatred toward Steve Keane, shouting obscenities and hurling objects at him, instead of backing their team
We've been there as a club, almost rioting when protesting against Swales and Lee and then look at why the rags allocation has been reduced in the FA Cup, because the last cup game they attended, supporters were found to be carrying darts, golf balls and other objects that even Inspector Clouseau would've deducted were for throwing at us
Football is supposed to be a leisure time experience and entertainment. Why else would you pay £25-£50 of your hard earned, especially in these times of recession
If you visited the cinema and the film wasn't very good, how many would throw objects at the projectionist and threaten to rip his head from his body and if you saw someone doing that, you'd think they should be locked up.

Why is there so much hate in football?

If you think of football as just another form of entertainment - like the cinema, no you will never understand. However, I can't imagine that most people think this way. In fact, I don't think people would pay so much money for it - especially when we're now at the point where you can see almost every single game on telly.

Football for a true fan is a huge emotional investment, as well as financial one. You choose a team and stick with it. It becomes like a part of your family and indeed you're more likely to get a divorce than abandon your football team. When they're playing well and winning you feel elated and when they're not and losing, gutted. As a result, you don't respond like you would any other form of entertainment because that's not its true purpose. If it's in danger you respond as if your child was in danger. If some idiot almost hurts your child through wanton negligence the natural response is anger and the same is true if some idiot demonstrates wanton negligence towards your football club. The same is also true of a child who is sick and needs money for an operation that cannot be funded by the NHS for whatever reason - people go and raise money to help, and when your football club is in financial peril fans will do the same. Love is the reaction there; compassion. They'll go asking for donations, they'll do fundraisers. Clubs really matter in people's lives. It's the very most basic social instinct; belonging to something, being a part of something.

Of course, you shouldn't confuse the above with people who use football as a medium for recreational violence and were they not at football they'd be fighting somewhere else for another equally disingenuous reason. I'm talking about protests against boards and managers. The logic of that, given the above, is clear.

Also, shortly expect SWPB to be along to tell you we're not in recession.

"Hate" at football. Why?

Skashion said:
If you think of football as just another form of entertainment - like the cinema, no you will never understand. However, I can't imagine that most people think this way. In fact, I don't think people would pay so much money for it - especially when we're now at the point where you can see almost every single game on telly.

Football for a true fan is a huge emotional investment, as well as financial one. You choose a team and stick with it. It becomes like a part of your family and indeed you're more likely to get a divorce than abandon your football team. When they're playing well and winning you feel elated and when they're not and losing, gutted. As a result, you don't respond like you would any other form of entertainment because that's not its true purpose. If it's in danger you respond as if your child was in danger. If some idiot almost hurts your child through wanton negligence the natural response is anger and the same is true if some idiot demonstrates wanton negligence towards your football club. The same is also true of a child who is sick and needs money for an operation that cannot be funded by the NHS for whatever reason - people go and raise money to help, and when your football club is in financial peril fans will do the same. Love is the reaction there; compassion. They'll go asking for donations, they'll do fundraisers. Clubs really matter in people's lives. It's the very most basic social instinct; belonging to something, being a part of something.

Of course, you shouldn't confuse the above with people who use football as a medium for recreational violence and were they not at football they'd be fighting somewhere else for another equally disingenuous reason. I'm talking about protests against boards and managers. The logic of that, given the above, is clear.

Excellent post

Agree, great post. Football is so underestimated, its more than a sport for millions of people. It can bring people together better than politics, just watch any world cup. The people who say it's only a game dont understand the passion fans have for their team. When I watch other teams I know how those fans feel when they win or lose. I feel great when City win and shit when they lose.

If you compare Blackburn to us it just shows the fans have no class. We have been down in the depths but flat cap alan with his Worls Cup medal or the other twonk with his guitar never ever received abuse like the so called fans of Blackburn. Yes we had demonstrations outside the main stand but nothing to equal the bile they spew out. I could not believe they hurled abuse at one of theirs after he had scored !! all becasue he ran over to Keane. Portsmouth a have suffered incredibly over the past few years but have never hurled abuse at the team or manager like we are now seeing. I am a comitted Blue with no interest in other clubs, I couldn't name any player in the West Brom team and can only think of a few Chelsea players names but even as plummeted downwards, (York away) I never behaved like them especially when the team were on the pitch.

Skashion said:

great post

We're all very passionate about our clubs, to some of us it's like one of the family.

If your team loses on the weekend it can ruin your weekend, if they win then it can make you bloody happy.

Everyone wants what's best for their club. They love the team but hate the ones at the top, it's just the way it goes with a lot of teams.

If your owner quit tomorrow, Risdale took over and sold your best players I'm sure over time there would be a lot of anger. Same with any club that were doing well

There are probably a few thousand against Kean 100%. If they kept away it isn't going to do much difference financially. They probably already have season tickets.

Just like pathetic Liverpool fans you can protest for weeks/months/years and you'll get your way in the end if you protest enough. If you keep away someone else will take your seat. At Blackburn the only way is to stay and voice your opinion

I sort of agree with all that been said but the huge change factor now is that the hate and anger which has always been there is now made visible via mobiles tweets and networks and its easy to organise and take direct action before it was just dissent and grumbles fans feel rightly they can do something to change an issue they care about. This doesn’t explain or condone the crimbos and nutters bringing darts to throw @ beloved MCFC fans but when you review the keen saga the man is so delusional refusing to accent or take responsibly for his part in the downfall, reminds me of Gordon Brown @ the last election, the mudochs @ Leverson or the Tottenham police refusal to explain why having shot a black man ( it wasn’t racist it was surezist !) in August to a worried community the community react badly to being ignored.

all down to communication and good leadership something that Keen is singularly crap in both departments that’s why in my view the fans are right and he has to go

Just think... if he had had the internet when we wanted to rid MCFC of our managerial plonkers years back it would be a different and better world
Power to the people as some might say

It just comes down to the average IQ of the numpties that get too involved in it. The kind of people who are giving Kean so much shite at Blackburn, and the idiots who think it's fine to punch someone outside a ground because of the colour of their shirt, are the kind of morons who you would see on stage on Jeremy Kyle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.