Headed to Scotland

Just back from the Highlands. First time I’d ever been there and was fortunate enough to have really good weather. Planning to return in the Spring. Do you know if it’s worth travelling over to Lewis (we only got as far as Skye this time), and from a walking perspective, any idea how easy/difficult it is to walk/climb up Beinn Alligin (just the first part as far as Tom Na Gruagaich)?
Not done Beinn Alligin but these descriptions are usually fairly accurate.

Lewis Harris is a great place to visit if you like the outdoors, spectacular beaches on Harris and good hills. Lewis is a bit more bleak particularly inland but lovely coastal walks round the Butt of Lewis and the standing stones are well worth visiting. There is not a particularly well developed tourist infrastructure compared to Skye and you need to organise well in advance at popular times including ferries which can be full,

Anywhere around the A9 between Gairloch and Edinburgh to break the journey up for a night that's worth a visit? Booking hotels around the NC500 and prefer not to have to do 250 miles in one day. This is for the return journey.

Anywhere around the A9 between Gairloch and Edinburgh to break the journey up for a night that's worth a visit? Booking hotels around the NC500 and prefer not to have to do 250 miles in one day. This is for the return journey.

Which direction will you be heading? You could always give a little place called Killin a visit.

Finished the NC500 last Fri. Took 10 days. Went anti-clockwise. There’s a lot of places closed when you get out into it. No midges though which was good. The weather in the last few days was testing. We did a mixture of tent camping and b&b’s. There’s a campsite near Thurso http://windhaven.co.uk/ owned by a Manc couple. Worth popping in. They’ve a family of seals that live in the bay below the site. We sat for a hour watching them with a brew. Breathtaking views from there. Also the Black Isle bar in Inverness is worth a beer and the pizza was lovely.

Thought I'd reignite this thread in an attempt to try and get a bit of info on a possible trip to the West Coast of Scotland.

Me and the wife have 2 weeks booked off work in June and rather than go abroad we fancy going up North to take in what sights are on offer and do plenty of rambling/moderate hiking.
Our planning is in it's infancy and we have no experience of the West of Scotland so at 1st glance we're thinking of doing the following:

Loch Lomond
Oban
Isle of Mull
Isle of Skye
Durness

Questions that are going through our head are:

How long should we dedicate to each area?
Is it too much to try to do in 2 weeks?
Are there must of areas that aren't on the list we should consider as alternatives?
What are the must do things whilst up there?

Any advice from blues that have been up that way would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with a pint or two in town if wanted once the season starts next season.

Cheers

Thought I'd reignite this thread in an attempt to try and get a bit of info on a possible trip to the West Coast of Scotland.

Me and the wife have 2 weeks booked off work in June and rather than go abroad we fancy going up North to take in what sights are on offer and do plenty of rambling/moderate hiking.
Our planning is in it's infancy and we have no experience of the West of Scotland so at 1st glance we're thinking of doing the following:

Loch Lomond
Oban
Isle of Mull
Isle of Skye
Durness

Questions that are going through our head are:

How long should we dedicate to each area?
Is it too much to try to do in 2 weeks?
Are there must of areas that aren't on the list we should consider as alternatives?
What are the must do things whilst up there?

Any advice from blues that have been up that way would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with a pint or two in town if wanted once the season starts next season.

Cheers
We stayed at the North end of Loch Lomond for a couple of days. Stunning area, that depending on what interests you have you can spend a good few days around. Hiked up Ben Vorlich, which was awesome (Steep ascent/ descent, which left me with serious lactic acid problems for a few days in my thighs!, but was worth it). Only spent a couple of days there before heading off to Near St Andrews, so can’t help with rest of your trip I’m afraid, but highly recommended. Midges were a bit of a problem at dusk and dawn at Lomond, but fine during the day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.