Heartbreaking moments as a City fan - when your favorite player leaves

At the time it was being mentioned, Nicky Reid, was absolutely gutted, even went down to the ground to give the club a mouthful, managed to get in and sat in the directors box thinking about what my next move should be whilst watching a guy jog around the outside of the pitch, and all of a sudden I realised, it was actually Nicky himself, was just about to shout “tell em to FRO Nicky”, when he looked up and just glared at me, so I just thought “fuck you, you fuckin mofo” and left.

Since then, never really bothered too much about players leaving, SWP was the exception to a minor degree I think, but things move on in football.
Nicky Reid, a City fan growing up, maybe not the most naturally gifted but certainly got stuck in, at the time I thought he was 'hard as fuck'. Like you I was gutted when he left, I seem to remember John Bond thinking his son Kevin was the better option.
Steve Mackenzie was another one from that era, thought he had a bright future at the club. (he went to WBA too, the same club that Owen and Barnes went to a couple of years earlier) Maybe I just remember the brilliant volley in the cup final replay in 81 and the winning goal against the rags at Maine Road, as I don't remember much of his career after he left us.
Most of our recent ' high profile departees' probably left at the right time imo ,as we had seen them at their peak(Gundo maybe still was/is ) and played such a huge part in our recent success it felt the right time. Sergio in particular was a case In point. You would hate to have seen them become a shadow of themselves in a blue shirt.
Creaney for Walsh was simply ridiculous!
SWP was the worst one for me, really sxciting player to watch and the fans loved him, he seemed to also genuinely love the club (and still does) and didn't want to go but we desperately needed the money. That little fella would not look out of place in a Pep City team for sure!

Tony Coton. When I was a kid I wanted to be a keeper and he was probably my first footballing hero. The move to the rags seemed to come out of nowhere and the fact he joined them of all teams, made it much worse!

David Phillips. I'd got a City shirt for my 5th birthday and then got my Grandma to sew a 6 on the back (classy!) as he was my fave player. When he left, fairly inexplicably, a year or so later I was genuinely gutted.

In a case of classic kids logic, Reddo became my fave player as he took over the 6 shirt.

Another one here for Bish. Couldn't believe it at the time and was fuckin gutted he went. Still has a great affection for our club and also the Hammers. Top guy.
Like a lot of blues was gutted when he left us for West Ham (though ofcourse he came back and played for us for a while including the Gillingham game at Wembley) Didn't we swap him and Trevor Morley for Mark Ward from West Ham?
To be fair Mark Ward was a decent player, though things didn't go too well for him later on though did they as he spent time inside for running a 'drugs factory' from his house !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.