Heartbreaking moments as a City fan - when your favorite player leaves

Dennis Tueart leaving for Cosmos. Close the thread!
Exactly that. I was 12/13 and had been already going to Maine Rd the last2 years off and on and loved Denis. The fact that he was still here softened the blow of Rodney Marsh and Franny going.
I suppose Barnes and Owen leaving were in a similar bracket and the rest such as MacKenzie, Caton, SWP etc were more WTF moments

My heartbreak moment wasn’t a player leaving. As a young teenager I remember being absolutely devastated when Joe Mercer left. I had started watching City in 1964 so my formative years as a fan had been the Mercer/Allison glory years and, of course, I never wanted it to end. I couldn’t believe the Club let Joe go after everything he had done for us. Turns out my youthful concerns were well founded.

Most have already been mentioned but I remember being devastated when we sold Garry Flitcroft to Blackburn when we were in a relegation scrap. At the time it didn't make sense to me.

I cried when Wyn Davies was sold as i was only a kid.
My old man didn't have the heart to tell me we sold him to the rags!

I was gutted when we got rid of Peter Barnes and Gary Owen.

I was sad when Sergio left.

You must be fairly young because they come nowhere on my list.

Peter Barnes
Gary Owen
Shaun Wright Phillips.
Paul Stewart
Paul Power

Edit - David White too
Paul Stewart sticks in the mind. Not least of all because Peter Swales, when faced with rumours in the press concerning Stewart's departure, gave a personal assurance that he'd be playing in the sky blue of Manchester City the following season. He was promptly sold to Spurs at the end of the season of course!

Peter Barnes & Gary Owen, especially selling to a lesser team (in my 12 year old opinion at the time)

And we'd only just moved to the heart of West Brom supporter land and my new school friends loved it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.