Helen the bell ringer

Ha, sorry to disappoint but we’re not related.
At least the urban myth is finally killed off.
As I remember Helen was always ‘Coach A’ - “Right you lot at the back, no drinking and no swearing”. And she ruled with an iron fist
Coach B was Ian Cheeseman. He tried his best but he was like a supply teacher, nobody was scared and nobody paid any heed.
We all wanted Coach B

Helen used to sell flowers outside of Southern Cemetery. I recall a Tory Councillor - I think it was Richard Rodgers - trying to stop her alleging some breach of bye laws. It turns out he owned a florist shop in the Charlton area as well as representing Alexandra Ward on the City Council.
What an absolute prick but it sounds very reminiscent of the petty, small time, chiselling corruption that Manchester councillors used to display and many still do to this very day.

An old schoolmate of mine won the Turner Prize, Chris Ofili. From Portland Road in Longsight. Year above me in St Robert’s, grew up on the next street to the Beckford brothers, Clitheroe Road.
Jason B was same year as me, went to Burnage. Had to try and mark him at a Manchester Boys trial and that was the end of that
Wasn’t Jason on the bench for the Maine Road Massacre?

At least the urban myth is finally killed off.
As I remember Helen was always ‘Coach A’ - “Right you lot at the back, no drinking and no swearing”. And she ruled with an iron fist
Coach B was Ian Cheeseman. He tried his best but he was like a supply teacher, nobody was scared and nobody paid any heed.
We all wanted Coach B
Went to Blackpool away in the FA Cup 1984 and was put on A Coach. Dreaded it. Had 3 cans of beer in back pockets and coat pocket..... sat near the back and had to bend down in the seats to drink them....

Helen used to sell flowers outside of Southern Cemetery. I recall a Tory Councillor - I think it was Richard Rodgers - trying to stop her alleging some breach of bye laws. It turns out he owned a florist shop in the Chorlton area as well as representing Alexandra Ward on the City Council.
I think you'll find he was too busy writing South Pacific to be in anyway bothered about council matters!!!

I made a delivery to Helens maisonette years ago and she asked me to place her order inside. As you would expect her place was a shrine to City. Walls throughout covered with memorabilia. Had a good chat and no doubt if phones had cameras in those days she would have let me snap way. God bless her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.