Helen the bell ringer

Helen's finest moment, on the pitch with the team after the 1976 League Cup victory across both big screens, whilst the bell is either rung or played out through the loudspeakers would be just unreal.

The unleashing of passion (certainly from older fans) could be an extra man.

Technology and tradition.

I've heard a few stories over the years but It would be great if CityTv could find some video/pictures and create a mini episode of these characters of the club for years gone by, would be great viewing and education for newer blues.

adammck said:
I've heard a few stories over the years but It would be great if CityTv could find some video/pictures and create a mini episode of these characters of the club for years gone by, would be great viewing and education for newer blues.

I'm sure the tourists would love to hear about the adventures of 'Daft Donald' ;-)

Blue Lloyd said:
adammck said:

I'm sure the tourists would love to hear about the adventures of 'Daft Donald' ;-)

or travelling with The Cool Cats.......

I remember seeing Helen in the early days at COMS sat in her wheelchair at the back of the North East corner so she did make it to the new ground.

Speaking of old birds on the official City coaches, does anyone know if Edna's still going? She was always on Coach A of the Finglands charabancs when I used to use them about 7 or 8 years ago. Was definitely getting on a bit then but was a really top blue - I remember her raving on about the Lokeren away game.

I used to sit in the North Stand, and there were times I would gladly have taken that bloody bell off her (yep, I'm a miserable fucker). Then I went to Blackpool away and was on the same coach as Helen. What a miserable fucking trip that was, she policed the coach like a fucking headmistress! Stopped anyone bringing food or drinks onto the coach, then half way there she started selling stuff from the front! Got to say, fair play on that one though.....very much the entrepreneur.

brilliant thread. and to the poster who was wondering if her mural was still up at the MRI, was in there last summer and yup, still there.
if it could be done properly, the bell ringing idea is a brilliant one. but it should be the fans sorting it, not the club. she was one of us

I remember Helen well. She was at the new ground as I heard her bell ringing away in the corner, but as anyone like me will confirm, being a child of the 60's, when you went to an away game and she was on your coach, boy, she looked after you.

She was a real gem. I have many fond memories of Helen, all of them positive. I know she knew the players and was part of the club, but she was just a fan like the rest of us, and she was always making sure everything was OK with the rest of us.

I liked Helen. It was hard not to.

malg said:
I used to sit in the North Stand, and there were times I would gladly have taken that bloody bell off her (yep, I'm a miserable fucker). Then I went to Blackpool away and was on the same coach as Helen. What a miserable fucking trip that was, she policed the coach like a fucking headmistress! Stopped anyone bringing food or drinks onto the coach, then half way there she started selling stuff from the front! Got to say, fair play on that one though.....very much the entrepreneur.

Don't know if it was the Blackpool 1984 Cup game you are on about, but I was on her coach for that game, bottle of red wine poured into a Ribina bottle.
She had her suspicions (especially as I was half pissed on arrival at the ground) and ''had words'' with me on the way back.
After that, always waited until A coach was sold before booking another coach ticket...... never had that problem on the Football Specials though!

WyongBlue said:
themadinventor said:
"Helen Helen ring your bell, Helen ring your bell" great memories, sadly I think she wouldn't be allowed these days, maybe someone should give it a go lol

Thats right the Kippax would sing this during the match, and of course Helen would reply, much to the cheers of the Kippax, I think she use to sit in the North Stand, because I was a season ticket holder for a while, and saw her regulary take a seat on the front row, decked out in a big blue and white scarf and badges ect.....those where the days, good memories.........

Block N, Row 1, Seat 1

Me and my sister were N, Row 10, Seats 1 & 2!!

Big Joe Corrigan used to go behind the goal and give her a kiss when she handed him a sprig of lucky heather!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.