Helen the bell ringer

When you hear people talk about characters, Helen was a character, and sadly (in a positive way) probably talked about more now than when she was alive.

A true legend.

I also remember how she used to come around the Supporters Club - when we had it adjoining Maine Road - with those raffle tickets.

That was one raffle where everybody had a ticket. Nobody but nobody ever said 'No' to Helen - that 'Look' meant it was only a question of how many -)

i8rags said:
stony said:
bluelol said:
No kid stony I didn't know this, she such a part of our history mate don't you agree.

Agree completely blue. He doesn't post much but his name is a dead give away.
If she was on your coach you never fucked about. City legend.

that bell came in handy at dodgy away grounds back in the day-from what i,ve heard helen was fearless in protecting young blues who were being picked on..

last time i saw helen was on the isle of man tour( i think)early 90s..she was in a wheel chair by then but gave me a big smile and demanded a kiss!!

great character,one of the old school,just reminds me so much of maine road..the old city i loved so much.

citiblue375 said:
A true legend.

I also remember how she used to come around the Supporters Club - when we had it adjoining Maine Road - with those raffle tickets.

That was one raffle where everybody had a ticket. Nobody but nobody ever said 'No' to Helen - that 'Look' meant it was only a question of how many -)

Yep, bought a ticket myself !!!

citiblue375 said:
A true legend.

used to love that supporters club..helen selling half time draw tickets,woodpecker cider on draught,classy blue wall to wall decour ,programme seller, pie seller..big screens for football focus etc ..all you ever wanted as a football daft teenager ,all under one roof. i loved maine road.

Remember going on her coach to Ipswich for a midweek league cup , late 70`s which we actually won, not many teams got anything at Portman Road those days. We stopped at Newark on the way for an emergency piss stop and went behind some advertising boards. The next minute Helen appears and does a Paula Radcliffe right next to us. True to form she also shouted after us `no messin about, straight on the coach` without batting an eyelid. KIN LEGEND.

blueste41 said:
WyongBlue said:
themadinventor said:
"Helen Helen ring your bell, Helen ring your bell" great memories, sadly I think she wouldn't be allowed these days, maybe someone should give it a go lol

Thats right the Kippax would sing this during the match, and of course Helen would reply, much to the cheers of the Kippax, I think she use to sit in the North Stand, because I was a season ticket holder for a while, and saw her regulary take a seat on the front row, decked out in a big blue and white scarf and badges ect.....those where the days, good memories.........

Yes, right behind the goal. I remember she was a big Joe Corrigan (no pun intended!) fan and used to give him birthday presents.

Didn't she give him a piece of lucky heather every match,

dennishasdoneit said:
citiblue375 said:
A true legend.

used to love that supporters club..helen selling half time draw tickets,woodpecker cider on draught,classy blue wall to wall decour ,programme seller, pie seller..big screens for football focus etc ..all you ever wanted as a football daft teenager ,all under one roof. i loved maine road.

Me too - we used to come over from Dublin so we'd spend hours there on a Saturday night after the games until our coach was ready to take us back to Holyhead in the early hours. We had the Saturday night comedians, not to mention the bingo sessions -)))). But they were great days - no other club had a facility like it. Lots of times the club would arrange for a player or two to pop in and spend an hour with us. They were simple times - but just as you said - as a wide eyed football daft youngster - they were magic times.

Clevers said:
blueste41 said:
WyongBlue said:
Thats right the Kippax would sing this during the match, and of course Helen would reply, much to the cheers of the Kippax, I think she use to sit in the North Stand, because I was a season ticket holder for a while, and saw her regulary take a seat on the front row, decked out in a big blue and white scarf and badges ect.....those where the days, good memories.........

Yes, right behind the goal. I remember she was a big Joe Corrigan (no pun intended!) fan and used to give him birthday presents.

Didn't she give him a piece of lucky heather every match,

Yeh I think she did Clevers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.