Help needed...

Kippax1973

Team supported
Man city
Can someone please post the proof to me that city lent united a kit to carry on pre war, just a petty argument I want to win,, ending in there nick,, RAGS

This has cropped up a few times and I'm fairly certain, that the RAGS nickname originated from United themselves in the early 1930s when they were absolutely skint. In fact, according to one of Gary James' articles, it was more of a self-deprecating in-joke, and they weren't too keen on City fans using the term.

I'm guessing that it slipped from everyday vocabularly during the war, and was largely forgotten once United had been completely transformed. However, it seemed to resurface after a fanzine interview (possibly Elliot Rashman) in the early 1990s, when it seemed inconceivable that City had once been the richer club.
The wheel turns.........

This has cropped up a few times and I'm fairly certain, that the RAGS nickname originated from United themselves in the early 1930s when they were absolutely skint. In fact, according to one of Gary James' articles, it was more of a self-deprecating in-joke, and they weren't too keen on City fans using the term.

I'm guessing that it slipped from everyday vocabularly during the war, and was largely forgotten once United had been completely transformed. However, it seemed to resurface after a fanzine interview (possibly Elliot Rashman) in the early 1990s, when it seemed inconceivable that City had once been the richer club.
The wheel turns.........
Thanks for that mate,,, dam I really don't want to reverse here,,,,

Can someone please post the proof to me that city lent united a kit to carry on pre war, just a petty argument I want to win,, ending in there nick,, RAGS
The version I was told years ago was that in the early 1930s on one occasion they couldn't afford to pay the laundry bill to get their kit back so had to borrow a set from a non-league club, so "playing in rags".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.