Help needed...

I’m sure it has its roots as far back as people claim but it definitely went out of fashion for a long, long time, if it was around back then.

I personally don’t think I ever heard the term until some time in the 90s, when ‘Munichs’ started drifting out of polite conversation and people were looking for a more acceptable insult.

The only thing that I think that article doesn’t point out is the fact it was the second time in 30 years that they’d been bailed out by wealthy investors. And they have the cheek to call our owners!
Or the huge financial injection they received from floating on the stock exchange in the early 90's.
More outside investment but I guess that's OK.
The only thing "organic" about that shitstain of a club is the shit spouted by their plastic followers.

According to the OED the term 'jamrag' dates from the 1860s.

The obvious reason we call them rags is because their shirts are jamrag red.

This was probably as true in the 1920s as it is in the 2020s.

Seems entirely plausible to me that the 'explanations' about them playing in rags because they were so poor were attempts to clean up the unpalatable true origins of the expression.

I remember hearing somewhere that the reason they have an occasional Blue away strip is because of hand me downs from City many years ago, as their kit had become threadbare and ragged... hence the term Rags. Could be bullshit, but I have confidently used this as solid proof to many rags to explain how pathetic their club really was/is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.