Help needed...

The version I was told years ago was that in the early 1930s on one occasion they couldn't afford to pay the laundry bill to get their kit back so had to borrow a set from a non-league club, so "playing in rags".
Think United then were owned by an Ice Cream man. Oil must be worth a bit more hey......

Can someone please post the proof to me that city lent united a kit to carry on pre war, just a petty argument I want to win,, ending in there nick,, RAGS
Hello,the way I heard it from a bloke I used to work with was it wasn't the team,Utd,but the fans. Many years ago the filth used to entice people in to watch their feeble offerings with a meal,which was soup. Because many people were out of work and could not turn down a free meal this led up to Utd being labled The Rags. Not the team but the people who went in.

I heard it was the owner of Umbro, at the time was a City fan, and utd were in a cup final and were also using Umbro (not sure what period in history it was) , and he said …….let them play in rags………… that was the only version I had heard before reading this thread, also the amount of so called diehard Rags who simply didn‘t have a clue why they were called it was unsurprisingly high……

I heard a totally different reason to why we call them Rags, the name came from a Tow-Rag, check out its meaning, but I like the British Navel one, it was a Rag which was used to clean your arse, then towed behind the ship to clean it.
Or Tow-Rag, is a low life, scum, or loser.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.