"He's never managed in England...."

If he was French, Italian or Spanish they wouldn't say that. There was a pundit on the radio the other day saying that because Phil Scolari (a world cup winner) bombed at Chelsea, that by default all South Americans have a question mark above them in the PL!!!

Pellegrini59 said:
If he was French, Italian or Spanish they wouldn't say that. There was a pundit on the radio the other day saying that because Phil Scolari (a world cup winner) bombed at Chelsea, that by default all South Americans have a question mark above them in the PL!!!

Indeed.

This never managing in the PL crap seemingly only ever applies to foreign managers and yet there's one nation that has a large number of managers who have never won the league title: Wales. Nah, just kidding. But the English pundits are a bit arrogant, considering that the PL has been running for over 20 years and no English manager has ever won it.

MCFC BOB said:
I think it's just an easy argument to bring up when pundits want to add "balance" to a "debate" they're having.

I agree. It's no different to saying Moyes has never won anything, or that "you should never go back" regarding Mourinho. It's all hypothetical nonsense at this stage, better to judge once the real business has begun.

MCFC BOB said:
I think it's just an easy argument to bring up when pundits want to add "balance" to a "debate" they're having.

Nice use of inverted commas there. Wouldn't want anyone thinking pundits ever concerned themselves with balance, or had anything approaching a debate!

Ric said:
MCFC BOB said:

I agree. It's no different to saying Moyes has never won anything, or that "you should never go back" regarding Mourinho. It's all hypothetical nonsense at this stage, better to judge once the real business has begun.

I would disagree with that bit, that is an entirely relevant point IMO. Moyes had 11 years at Everton and won nothing. In that time:

Martinez won the FA Cup with Wigan
Laudrup won the League Cup with Swansea
McLeish won the League Cup with Birmingham
Redknapp won the FA Cup with Portsmouth
McLaren won the League Cup with Boro

I doubt any of those managers would have been considered for the rags job but all have won a major trophy on similar or lower budgets than Moyes had at Everton.

Ric said:
MCFC BOB said:

The fact that Moyes has never won anything in all his time at Everton, no fa cup, no carling cup, is relevant imo. Great managers find a way. I also believe that it's a huge advantage for Chelsea that Mourinho has managed in England before, and has experience of winning the Premier League and what that takes. He's also very familiar with his surroundings and will have a pre-existing relationship with some of Chelsea's big players. If Chelsea sign Rooney they're favourites in my book.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.