hey everyone and where will we finish this season?

if we get champions league with the derby double ill be a happy man. its always been my dream to see us in the champions league

A reasonable requirement is 6th or above, as JMA said. The important thing is not so much the precise finish (i.e. 4th, 5th, 6th or whatever) but to what extent we are within touching distance of the top 4, and also how the season goes, e.g. if we start relatively poorly as the players 'gel', but improve and play the second half of the season like a train, that would be ok, even if we finish 10+ points off fourth. However, if the whole season is mediocre, that would not be acceptable.

The benchmark, in terms of number of points, I would say should be 60 as an absolute minimum.

My prediction? 6th. If we get rid of DUnne and find a decent centre back pairing, 5th.

I think a lot of city fans this year will try and cover their arses by saying 6th will be fine, I think deep down most of you realise that anything less than 4th would be failure this season, you;ve got a great chance

You've got to be going for 4th place. Arsenal are in decline and won't spend, villa have been depleted the only other challengers are spurs but they are terribly inconsistent.

ssg2 said:
I think a lot of city fans this year will try and cover their arses by saying 6th will be fine, I think deep down most of you realise that anything less than 4th would be failure this season, you;ve got a great chance

You've got to be going for 4th place. Arsenal are in decline and won't spend, villa have been depleted the only other challengers are spurs but they are terribly inconsistent.

I see where you're coming from. But can you honestly say that Richard Dunne would get anywhere near a Champions League team? He wouldn't, and that illustrates our weakness. Our defence will still leak too many goals to finish in the top 4 unless we find a dominant centre back pairing. Touré and Kompany, perhaps, but they won't be playing together any time soon.

We'll get 65 points and finish 4/5/6th.

Hopefully we'll get a good couple of Cup Runs and give the Carling Cup a REAL go.

ssg2 said:

Maybe. But in my opinion, we've waited too long to start being overly confident because of spending. Breaking the top four has come mostly from the press, other managers and other supporters wanting us to fail through false expectations, and not from city supporters or Mark Hughes. The project was made clear by the owners, "they" expect and want a top 6 finish. So we've got to be going for what the plan was, and still is.

Braggster said:
ssg2 said:

I see where you're coming from. But can you honestly say that Richard Dunne would get anywhere near a Champions League team? He wouldn't, and that illustrates our weakness. Our defence will still leak too many goals to finish in the top 4 unless we find a dominant centre back pairing. Touré and Kompany, perhaps, but they won't be playing together any time soon.

He would be a good squad player, look at o'shea. played more games than most last season and won the league and final of the champs league.
You will get lescott and him and toure should be enough with richards and dunne as cover. Lescott can also cover the LB slot and richards the RB slot.
I can't see why you can't make the top 4

We've got give the carling cup a very, very good run. The top 4 will all play weak sides so technically that should leave us favourites or very close to favourites

Que a 3rd round defeat to Chesterfield then ;-)

Fair enough SSG, if we get Lescott and Toure as the first choice pairing, then I will be a lot more confident.

I agree with what you say about O'Shea, Dunne has been better than O'shea in many of the past 5 seasons, but he has completely fallen off a cliff and become a total liability. Also he isn't versatile like o'shea is. IMO at a top 4 club he would suffer the same fate as Silvestre, i.e. it would be quickly realised that he's a liability.

davymcfc said:
if we get champions league with the derby double ill be a happy man. its always been my dream to see us in the champions league

You'll be a happy man, bloody hell I think everyone on here would be over our moon with 4th and the double over the scum. Can't see it, sorry

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.