High Blood Pressure

Bloody hell mate. That’s some trip. Glad you’re well now.

Is the health card still a thing now we’re out of the EU?
Thanks for your reply. Yes I’m fairly stable at present.
The EU recognise the reciprocal health agreements between countries. It was the first question I was asked when admitted therefore I was glad I applied before travelling.

I’m on my Soap box here, I went to hospital for a procedure a few months ago, it was cancelled as my Blood Pressure was 235/111, the Doctor was very concerned and I was referred back to my GP to resolve.

After several changes to medication I’m now at normal levels, I’ve attached my latest reading here as proof.

My main reason for posting though is this, high BP is the silent killer, so many people die suddenly because they don’t know they have it. Just buy a home monitor for around £20 and check once a week. Out of all the members on here there will be significant numbers who could be in danger but high BP doesn’t present any symptoms. Please, please don’t ignore, especially if you’re over 50 and have a degree of stress in your life.

My doctor said I was nailed on for a heart attack or stroke, I’m 65 btw and thankful for medical attention that may give me extra years.
Also, have your bloods (Regular and PSA) done yearly. Bowel cancer check too.

Yes it is.
If you have an EHIC card it continues until it’s renewal date then you apply for its replacement the GHIC card which does the same job.
Well it is until it runs out. Then you have to get a GHIC (Global) HIC card. Despite the name, it is far from global and actually covers less countries than the EHIC did- another bloody Brexit benefit!

Also, have your bloods (Regular and PSA) done yearly. Bowel cancer check too.
It was a bowel cancer colonoscopy I was in hospital for as my FIT test had revealed levels of blood in my waste. Had to take that horrible solution twice to “clear” myself out, was sat in the hospital with the “dignity” shorts and gown on, all ready to go then the BP reading was off the scale, can honestly say it after the passing of family and friends it was the worst day of my life, panicking uncontrollably about my BP and thinking I was going to die.

It was a bowel cancer colonoscopy I was in hospital for as my FIT test had revealed levels of blood in my waste. Had to take that horrible solution twice to “clear” myself out, was sat in the hospital with the “dignity” shorts and gown on, all ready to go then the BP reading was off the scale, can honestly say it after the passing of family and friends it was the worst day of my life, panicking uncontrollably about my BP and thinking I was going to die.
Glad you're okay. I'm on 5mg Amlodipine. A random gp check discovered it a couple of years ago. Shook me up. I'm 59 and have been working out regularly (weights, swimming, walking) for 40 odd years. No symptoms. Got a monitor now and check it monthly. It was bowel cancer that took me dad so that FIT test I do yearly.

Last edited:
Glad you're okay. I'm on 5mg Amlodipine. A random gp check discovered it a couple of years ago. Shook me up. I'm 59 and have been working out regularly (weights, swimming, walking) for 40 odd years. No symptoms. Got a monitor now and check it monthly.
Just shows why it’s called the “silent killer” if someone as fit as you can get high BP, the monitor is something every household should have, even checking once a month is preventative “medicine”, cheers.

My BP problems started when I found out I had bladder cancer. The waiting for surgery and results sent my BP up to 215/110. My GP surgery in Urmston couldn't have cared less. I went to the Urgent Care and got whisked through pretty quick . 5mg amlopodine daily and now mine ranges from 135/84 to 145/88. The thing that ticks me off is my GP Surgery couldn't give a toss. I send in a weeks readings when its high then have to chase them down to beg for an appointment with some locum who then asks me to do two weeks readings then vanishes off the radar.

Like I said, diff situations for diff people.
I'm not taking statins or BP tablets when my readings are normal. I'm not overweight, have a physical job and am active and feel fit.
Obv not the case for everyone.
The important thing like you said is to check these things.
Statins reduce your risk of a heart attack whether or not your cholesterol is high. They are no longer just recommended for people with high cholesterol but for all people with a higher risk of heart attack.

Although they can have side effects they are fairly uncommon. In well controlled studies they are rare. The problem is that things like muscle aches are very common in middle aged and older people who take statins and then attribute these to the statin as they can cause them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.