Highly Regarded Youngsters...

Sonny Pike, remember that TV programme on him think he was at Ajax as a kid, big furore because he was English and he just disappeared. James Buster Philips city's answer to Giggs. John Oster. John Curtis and Ben Thornley at Utd.

alfonson alves who we were after scored about 7 goals in one game in holland, he went to middlesbrough and did absolutely nothing there

bondsman said:
Sonny Pike, remember that TV programme on him think he was at Ajax as a kid, big furore because he was English and he just disappeared. James Buster Philips city's answer to Giggs. John Oster. John Curtis and Ben Thornley at Utd.

Remember Curtis being hyped heaps during the 90s, it was nailed-on that he'd be the next one off the production line. Now he's just signed a one-year deal to play here in the A-league! Although probably better than languishing in the lower divisions.

I also remember Michael Branch - supposed to be Everton's equivalent of Robbie Fowler; a natural goalscorer.

England have had a few other the last few years.

Moses Ashikodi
Cerno Samba
Leon Knight

They all had similar hype to Carlton Cole and even Bobby Zamora, only Zamora and Cole have made good careers for themselves, and are now both good strikers.

There's been a fair few in England who started brightly and then dropped into the lower leagues. Guys like McPhail, Jon Harley,

Abroad....

Freddy Adu has to be the most obvious.

Hugo Viana - Was supposed to be quality, but never did it at a top level.

Silvio Maric - Went to Newcastle, was supposed to be great, but never was.

Javier Portillo - Broke all Real Madrid scoring records at junior level and with the reserves (i think).

Nii Lamptey - Ghanaian, meant to be the next best thing. Never amounted to anything.

I vaguely remember reading about a player who ended up playing all over Europe, think he had a stint at Roma. It'll probably have been sometime in the 90's. Think he ended up in Greece. Can't remember his name but he was the original Freddy Adu, in terms of being all hype. Anybody remember him?

Freddy Adu was the first one on my mind!!!

He should be more than enough for an example!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.