Have to say as an old man once hip-hop artists couldn't sample anything they wanted for free (due to properly enforced copyright violations), the genre lost its spark for me. The grooves became a lot thinner. I loved old Public Enemy -- still do -- and early Beasties. Thought NWA were posers. Eminem is still okay for shock value and the groove but he's not as funny nor as smart as everyone seems to think he is. Tupac grew up five minutes from where I live but never really liked his stuff. Does MIA count? I think she's really strong. Pretty much missed everyone else.

Be curious if anyone can point me to a hip-hop artist with an actual sense of humor who doesn't take him/herself too seriously (besides the Beasties). Of course, I suppose great street music emanates from difficult lives, so maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing.

Have to say as an old man once hip-hop artists couldn't sample anything they wanted for free (due to properly enforced copyright violations), the genre lost its spark for me. The grooves became a lot thinner. I loved old Public Enemy -- still do -- and early Beasties. Thought NWA were posers. Eminem is still okay for shock value and the groove but he's not as funny nor as smart as everyone seems to think he is. Tupac grew up five minutes from where I live but never really liked his stuff. Does MIA count? I think she's really strong. Pretty much missed everyone else.

Be curious if anyone can point me to a hip-hop artist with an actual sense of humor who doesn't take him/herself too seriously (besides the Beasties). Of course, I suppose great street music emanates from difficult lives, so maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing.
Biz Markie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.