Zinedine Zidane once said “Paul Scholes was the greatest midfielder of our generation”. I didn’t agree with him neither.

Obviously tastes differ and I know he was huge in terms of record sales. I just always felt he was more of a commercial Hip-pop gimmick, a marketable white bloke, rather than a serious Hip hop artist.

But then I’ve always preferred the less mainstream or even underground side of Hip hop. I call myself a Hip hop fan yet haven’t got a single Biggie Tupac Eminem Dre Snoop JayZ 50p Kanye Diddy etc. track in my collection.
Whattttt? You don't have 'I'll take you to the candy shop and let you lick a lollipop' in your collection!?

I'm interested to know what artists you are into mate. I quite liked some of Eminem's first tracks when he first came on the scene. The more controversial ones offered something a bit different. It all turned commercial quickly after that however. Not just for Eminem but for rap music in general.

I also liked The Chronic and Doggy Style back in the but Snoop (Doggy) Dogg became a joke. And, although many will want to disagree, Tupac is the most overrated rapper of all time. Absolute bobbins, girly shite. In my opinion of course!

So, do you recommend any old school, underground/non-commercial artists?

Whattttt? You don't have 'I'll take you to the candy shop and let you lick a lollipop' in your collection!?

I'm interested to know what artists you are into mate. I quite liked some of Eminem's first tracks when he first came on the scene. The more controversial ones offered something a bit different. It all turned commercial quickly after that however. Not just for Eminem but for rap music in general.

I also liked The Chronic and Doggy Style back in the but Snoop (Doggy) Dogg became a joke. And, although many will want to disagree, Tupac is the most overrated rapper of all time. Absolute bobbins, girly shite. In my opinion of course!

So, do you recommend any old school, underground/non-commercial artists?
As a teenager I was well into everything Wu Tang.

As I’ve got older I just like the ones who are proper Hip hop: funky beats, jazz/funk samples, decent lyrics, far less of the “motherfcuking n****r motherfucker” stuff and rather opt for decent poetic or social commentary lyrics.

People Under The Stairs
Gang Starr
J5
The Roots
L.
Black Star
Pete Rock
Mos Def
Giant Panda
Common
LOTNS
Souls Of Mischief
Rakim
Ugly Duckling
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Baby Pa
Ini
Soul Position
(And many more)

I love when you hear a song and you can pick the sample.

I was at work and Grace Jones came on my Spotify randomly,

And I was stopped in my tracks...I recognise that hook.

Anyone know it?

OK so i've been thinking about this a lot recently and i'm convinced that DMX has one of the best flows *when he is on form*. Now give me a few minutes, i realise he has had a lot of shit tracks but here we go:

The first time i ever heard DMX was in 1995 on Mic Geronimo's album and he sounded exactly up my street:

Then he was on 4, 3, 2, 1. This track had Method Man, Redman, LL Cool J, Canibus and DMX all on the same song, while it was argued the beef between LL and Canibus overshadowed the others, i believe that DMX stole this whole thing with his delivery:

Next up he was on The Lox song, Money, Power, Respect and this is one of my favourite bars of all time, he delivers on every lyric:

The next year he released In Hell its Hot and it had some serious bangers:
Intro:

Damien

Stop being greedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5L1WtHwJF0

and also a couple tracks from Flesh of my Flesh.

From the Belly sountrack:
Grand Finale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGW3g293pq8

There are def others but his flow and delivery IMO is perfect for some situations, although he has had a hard fall and delivered a lot of shit since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.