Hobbies for the middle aged man

Since the pandemic when I gave up my Total Fitness membership I bought a bench and barbell and dumbbells and a pull up bar and set it all up in half of our garage. It‘s definitely easier to get motivated just to walk across the drive to work out than being arsed driving to Wilmslow. Makes you feel good about yourself getting bigger and toned too, well worth it in my opinion.

And completely different, reiterating an earlier poster, making Airfix kits is very relaxing, and good for maintaining dexterity and patience and if you really get into it the research can be pretty interesting.

Another interest, birdwatching; particularly our garden birds. Get some sunflower hearts out for them. If you really get into it the BTO have a garden bird survey where you help with citizen science by recording what you see each week.

On a more physically active point, you could try rowing, it’s amazing and the teamwork and social side is brilliant. Most rowing clubs have senior teams and you get to compete against other clubs, it’s brilliant.

Or try hiking perhaps. My missus loves that especially, and we’re not far from the Peak District and Derbyshire Dales so plenty of nice scenery to walk in.

My favourite though is amateur dramatics. That buzz from being on stage with people watching is amazing! And again it’s great socially as well as keeping your mind active by learning lines.

Last edited:
i still love seeing planes despite 38+ years in the industry. Modern software makes the hobby much easier with things like planebase and plane plotter, you can have your own virtual radar on your PC.

Those kits are how I got back into the hobby about fours ago, it’s a smashing way to get stress levels down. It’s amazing how with a bit of patience you can improve. Just finished this, it’s a Tamiya kit so the fit is a dream. Think the kit cost me £15 or so, build took about 4 weeks on and off, just about another 200 kits in the stash to go at!
Very nice. How did you paint that? Using spraying?

I really need to cut down on my curtain twitching hobbie and try some of these suggestions..trouble is N mcr is a bizarre and fascinating place;)

Indoors does limit things a bit. What about cyber stalking? Start with old girlfriends then work up to d list celebs like Jill Dando (rip). Was going to suggest Emily Maitlis as she's prime middle aged totty, but it looks like she's had a proper blobstrop about stalkers so maybe give her a miss.

Getting up in the middle of the night for a piss ( a few times).
Complaining about my knee.
Insomnia.
Thinking the 90s were better.
Listening to music exclusively from previous centuries.
Ranty monologues with an audience of one (the wife).

But seriously...gardening. Everything you plant and nurture is like a future present to yourself. Along with football it adds real structure to the year.

Love my vinyl records and still buy CDs, read a lot of history and bios but less lit these days, cook a lot, do a bit of collector-type Lego with the kids (or by yourself). Start following new sports - back into NBA and NFL for the first time in years but just as happy watching NASCAR. Trying to get to more plays. Staying on top of my clothes and grooming. Investing disposable income. Volunteering.

And obviously matchgoing is the ultimate middle aged man's hobby! Let's be honest.

For me, kids are finally old enough to appreciate it, enough early parenting costs have faded for me to be able to spend on it without worrying, always likeminded people to chat shit with, somewhere I can have a few drinks and a de-stress while Mrs Blue gets a break.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.