Holiday advice

We met a couple from Keighley who think they're half Greek as they visit Stalis twice yearly and have done so for the last four decades. He even orders his drinks in the local language follow by the obligitory yamos and everyone fawns over his abilitiy because it's a difficult language to master utilising it''s own alfa bet. Anyway I digress as they made eye contact with us and within minutes was narrating a history lesson on the Cretan way of life. We were supposed to be going to the Slaint'e Irish bar to watch Skid Row a local rock duo and then call off for a kebab but instead found ourself seated at a local taverna with them to enjoy some local produce. The mousaker was his recomendation and as I tucked in I realised the dish was simply a rehashed Shep-pie with a green gurkin in the middle. Layers of cheese and mince and potatoes and all very good but never the less Shepherds pie so if ever you want to try the local produce then this would be excellent as a first foray. The bar tender told us back at the digs that he could not understand a single word our new chum says except for the Mythos bit but that if it makes him happy fair fooks. Do any Mooners take on personalities from the countries they visit and try to integrate into their way of life? If I went in an Irish bar and started spouting "top of the morning" and "what about yer" I would probably receive a swift kick to the bollocks for my trouble. Anyway speaking of local produce I cannot wait to get my lips around some pudding chips and peas on a tray with gravy and a nice cup of PG Tips made with pyramid bags. Holidays are nice but it''s not England and if we had the sun like they all do then staycations would be the rage. We win hands down on the countryside vista's but our northern beach resorts are gash compared to the costas.

I try in Spanish but the barman in Malaga just laughed and said "It's ok, I can speak English." The Scottish lad who lived in Malaga was almost proud that he didn't speak Spanish which I find quite sad.

I find Germans to speak excellent English.

I try in Spanish but the barman in Malaga just laughed and said "It's ok, I can speak English." The Scottish lad who lived in Malaga was almost proud that he didn't speak Spanish which I find quite sad.

If you want to really try, I’d suggest one of the language apps, or google translator, and use the narration option. That way, you know what it sounds like and how it’s said, it gives you more confidence and you can start applying what you learn to other words.

Typical Spanish ones are the letter J pronounced like you’re trying to be an angry cat, and when there are two L’s together like llama, pronounced yama not lama.

I speak basic to mediocre Spanish and can understand way more than I can speak, but always make the effort to try. I always feels it’s appreciated and usually they help you out. Do the same wherever I go. Doesn’t work for scouse though.

We met a couple from Keighley who think they're half Greek as they visit Stalis twice yearly and have done so for the last four decades. He even orders his drinks in the local language follow by the obligitory yamos and everyone fawns over his abilitiy because it's a difficult language to master utilising it''s own alfa bet. Anyway I digress as they made eye contact with us and within minutes was narrating a history lesson on the Cretan way of life. We were supposed to be going to the Slaint'e Irish bar to watch Skid Row a local rock duo and then call off for a kebab but instead found ourself seated at a local taverna with them to enjoy some local produce. The mousaker was his recomendation and as I tucked in I realised the dish was simply a rehashed Shep-pie with a green gurkin in the middle. Layers of cheese and mince and potatoes and all very good but never the less Shepherds pie so if ever you want to try the local produce then this would be excellent as a first foray. The bar tender told us back at the digs that he could not understand a single word our new chum says except for the Mythos bit but that if it makes him happy fair fooks. Do any Mooners take on personalities from the countries they visit and try to integrate into their way of life? If I went in an Irish bar and started spouting "top of the morning" and "what about yer" I would probably receive a swift kick to the bollocks for my trouble. Anyway speaking of local produce I cannot wait to get my lips around some pudding chips and peas on a tray with gravy and a nice cup of PG Tips made with pyramid bags. Holidays are nice but it''s not England and if we had the sun like they all do then staycations would be the rage. We win hands down on the countryside vista's but our northern beach resorts are gash compared to the costas.
A. If you think moussaka is anything like shepherds’ pie you’ve been had.
B. I’d rather die than go in an Irish bar anywhere.
C. I go to to my French shack every year and speak French fluently.

I think as a nation we are a little bit lazy when it comes down to linguistics. The bar tender at our shack is from Macedonia and speaks 5 languages fluently. I can get by in Spanglish and order a beer and stuff but Greek is way above my comfort zone so Yamas will have to suffice for now.

I think as a nation we are a little bit lazy when it comes down to linguistics. The bar tender at our shack is from Macedonia and speaks 5 languages fluently. I can get by in Spanglish and order a beer and stuff but Greek is way above my comfort zone so Yamas will have to suffice for now.
This.
I once arrived to book our family into a French campsite.
The teenager handling the bookings ahead of us addressed the people in front of us in French, Dutch and German.
Meanwhile we just shout louder at foreigners thinking that should suffice.

Do we need to learn Spanish? I'd argue hotels and bars want English speaking staff so the applicants master their skills. Tourism must be a huge slice of Spanish income.

English must be in the top three of the most spoken languages in the world. Many have at least some basic grasp.

A. If you think moussaka is anything like shepherds’ pie you’ve been had.
B. I’d rather die than go in an Irish bar anywhere.
C. I go to to my French shack every year and speak French fluently.

A/ You make me laugh Denis. Moussaka is indeed like shep pie but with a bit more cheese and my bad it never had a gurkin inside, it was a corgete and was just there for fancy. I have just asked the tables around me and all of them to a man say it's a very similar dish. You probably bought yours in from a remote cantina on a deserted goat path who had to cobble it up from available odds and sods just to appease your insatiable inquisitiveness. They can see daft sausages like you coming from a mile away.

B/ I never had you down as a racist gammon. What have the Irish ever done to you to make you want to blank them out. They make the best full English breakfasts the world over and they are very good dancers too!

C/ Mais oui Mange toute Denis, mange toute.

A/ You make me laugh Denis. Moussaka is indeed like shep pie but with a bit more cheese and my bad it never had a gurkin inside, it was a corgete and was just there for fancy. I have just asked the tables around me and all of them to a man say it's a very similar dish. You probably bought yours in from a remote cantina on a deserted goat path who had to cobble it up from available odds and sods just to appease your insatiable inquisitiveness. They can see daft sausages like you coming from a mile away.

B/ I never had you down as a racist gammon. What have the Irish ever done to you to make you want to blank them out. They make the best full English breakfasts the world over and they are very good dancers too!

C/ Mais oui Mange toute Denis, mange toute.
I find Irish bars or English bars for that abroad pander to the most base of people.
I avoid like the plague these places because of their infection by fat, singlet wearing tattoo splattered louts drowning themselves in cheap beer, demanding the football volume on the tv be turned up and a full English breakfast for Sharon and themselves.
I can get enough of that in Manchester’s shitholes.

oh, and I have yet to find a recipe for shepherds’s pie that contains aubergine.
I believe the Greeks pander to British tastes by adding potato to some moussakas.
I haven’t eaten one containing potato.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.