Home brewing successes and fails ( beer and wine)

Silvas' left eyebrow

As I am about to start this project Beer. Wonder what tips or stories blue mooners have on this.
For instance how to control alcohol content etc. I want good strong beer not pish water.

Your thoughts and stories please. Have you drank home brew did it change your life? Did it create lasting memories........no drunken pissing stories please. There is a thread for that.....I try to avoid it.

Got a brewery in a tin thing from a mate still has 3 weeks to go so will report back then haha

I think I was about 21 when the one and only time I tried to make homebrew.
I think it was a John Bull lager kit. I wanted it stronger than the ABV stated so I put half the water suggested (about 20 pints) and double the sugar.

A few days later the bottles started exploding in the living room. My brother got cut by a shard of glass and my old fella made me put the rest of the beer bombs in the garden. Two more exploded in the garden that night. I think I managed to drink about 6 bottles... Fuckin' lethal: /

I've done it a few times from lager kits. As already mentioned, more sugar and less water would be the way to get the ABV up.

I actually have a few boxes worth left from last year and have been brave enough to drink a bottle or two on occasion. I cut a few corners on the 2nd batch and this is reflected in the quality.

I wouldn't say any of the brew kits are lifechanging but ultimately it all boils down to the satisfaction of getting pissed on your own product. I'd like to try it from scratch one day - I did intend to make cider this year but never got round to it.

Worst night in my life ever was after drinking several pints of my brothers rocket fuel home brew beer with Ouzo chasers...

I think I was about 21 when the one and only time I tried to make homebrew.
I think it was a John Bull lager kit. I wanted it stronger than the ABV stated so I put half the water suggested (about 20 pints) and double the sugar.

A few days later the bottles started exploding in the living room. My brother got cut by a shard of glass and my old fella made me put the rest of the beer bombs in the garden. Two more exploded in the garden that night. I think I managed to drink about 6 bottles... Fuckin' lethal: /

Brings back some childhood memories of us brewing ginger beer in the airing cupboard.One went of and the others followed suit. It was like a mine field in our kitchen and the stink of yeast and ginger lingered for months.

Must have come on since I tried it in the 80s tasted like shite then might give the wine a go try to save a bit of money

Let's cut to the chase here. Homebrew s basically wank unless you spend so much on a chemistry set type set up and spend so much time on it that it gets too expensive to bother. However, if you double the sugar and keep the fermentation bin at a decent temp with a fish tank heater you can make beer that's about 10-15% and get pissed for peanuts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.