Hong Kong

Burnage Burnsy

Off there in August. Anybody give me a point in the right direction as to how to eat and drink cheaply? or any other good tips of how to enjoy the place.

Never been anywhere like this so anything is appreciated.

Staying at the Sheraton.

Burnage Burnsy said:
Off there in August. Anybody give me a point in the right direction as to how to eat and drink cheaply? or any other good tips of how to enjoy the place.

Never been anywhere like this so anything is appreciated.

Staying at the Sheraton.

I'm going in September, after Shanghai but I haven't booked an hotel yet. Is that one central/reasonably priced etc??

I'll be there from the 2nd to 6th August

Hotels can be quite expensive, especially on hong kong island. I've booked two rooms at the Cosmopolitan Hotel near Causeway Bay

Last time I was there eating out was as expensive as over here if you went ina 'nice' restaurant.

I would advise you buy the Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter book from Amazon, about a fiver. My copy arrived yesterday and it details places to see, and where to get cheap eats.

And if you fancy a splurge go for afternoon tea at the Penisular, but take out a bank loan first.

squirtyflower said:

Hotels can be quite expensive, especially on hong kong island. I've booked two rooms at the Cosmopolitan Hotel near Causeway Bay

Last time I was there eating out was as expensive as over here if you went ina 'nice' restaurant.

I would advise you buy the Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter book from Amazon, about a fiver. My copy arrived yesterday and it details places to see, and where to get cheap eats.

And if you fancy a splurge go for afternoon tea at the Penisular, but take out a bank loan first.

I'm flying out on the 8th SF or we could have met up for a beer.

Cheers for the tip will have a look at the book. Post when you get back if you can before I go out and let me know any other tips you pick up when out there.

Ta pal

Go to the City Hall - literally the City Hall - for the best dim sum. The old girls with the trolleys are a sight to behold. Try and have a meal at Kowloon Bay if you can in the evening. The views are spectacular. I also ate snake soup at some backstreet place - I can't remember where though - so that's not much help.

Also, take lots of money. You'll need lots of money.

It can be expensive to eat. However if you go to Mongkok or Jordan districts to sample street food, which is dirt cheap with a large bottle of Tiger beer.

You can dine well at the Salisbury Hotel (YMCA) which is next to the Peninsula.
There are Happy Hours between 5pm and 8pm at most of the bars.

The best bar areas are in Wanchai and Lang Kwai Fong on Hong Kong Island, and Tsin Sha Tsui (TST) on Kowloon. They all have ex pat pubs with footie showing. Different nights of the week, different bars have various special deals on.You just have to walk around and you will find something.

Burnage Burnsy said:
squirtyflower said:

I'm flying out on the 8th SF or we could have met up for a beer.

Cheers for the tip will have a look at the book. Post when you get back if you can before I go out and let me know any other tips you pick up when out there.

Ta pal
Sorry mate can't do, I'm off to Xi'an, Chengdu and the Beijing after that.

If there's anything specific you want to know then PM me. I'm going to sort out our itinerary for Hong Kong this weekend, what we're going to see, how we're getting about etc so I could send you that if you want.<br /><br />-- Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:43 pm --<br /><br />
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Go to the City Hall - literally the City Hall - for the best dim sum. The old girls with the trolleys are a sight to behold. Try and have a meal at Kowloon Bay if you can in the evening. The views are spectacular. I also ate snake soup at some backstreet place - I can't remember where though - so that's not much help.

Also, take lots of money. You'll need lots of money.
I went to the dim sum place with the 80 year old serving girls back in 96. Fuck knows what we ate!

was there last summer, it's expensive. stayed at the intercontinental, got great view of the other side of the island.

the weather was either humid or pouring with rain all day.

this is important, make sure you get a hotel info card for the taxis as most of them don't know English and could drive you to the wrong hotel. happened to me once at the first day because there was 2 intercontinental hotels.

and if you're going with the missus, then try and avoid the fashion districts .. they have long ques just to enter each fucking shop and especially in the weekend, unbearable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.