Houses or Parliament Restoration

bluethrunthru

Since 2022 its gone up to £25bn - to give that context the Burj Khalifa took $1.5bn and 5 years to build. The Snedd was £70m and the Scottish Parliament £414m. Surely we need to break away from this traditional mindset that is wasting money and just build new from scratch in a new location for cheaper?

Since 2022 its gone up to £25bn - to give that context the Burj Khalifa took $1.5bn and 5 years to build. The Snedd was £70m and the Scottish Parliament £414m. Surely we need to break away from this traditional mindset that is wasting money and just build new from scratch in a new location for cheaper?

The Burj Khalifa was built off not far slave labour, 25 billion is a lot of money and probably too much, although that cost is estimated over 76 years.

the burj khalifa: capital excess and worker exploitation

WordPress.com
https://thecommune.wordpress.com › 2010/01/20 › the-...

20 Jan 2010 — Carpenters earn wages of approximately UK £4.34 per day and labourers earned UK £2.84 per day. The average monthly income of the migrant ...

But knocking it down to build a shit new building is not going to happen.

And the Scottish one was meant to cost 50m odd iirc.

The Burj Khalifa was built off not far slave labour, 25 billion is a lot of money and probably too much, although that cost is estimated over 76 years.

But knocking it down to build a shit new building is not going to happen.
There's plenty of shit buildings lying empty. There's Warwick Mill standing on a roundabout in Middleton. That would make an appropriate place for MPs to yap all day, or more precisely to carry on in their more lucrative employment wherever that might be.

I think the first step would be to reduce the number of MPs so that they could fit in an army surplus tent. Plenty of space in Heaton Park!

Crazy - build a new Parliament in Stoke (or somewhere else where land is cheap.) Make it so every MP has their own seat and desk and have electronic voting. Stop trying to live in the Middle Ages.

Some people like a bit of history, not everything needs to be austere and built on the cheap. The cost for this renovation is spread over 76 years it's not like it's being refurbished by wimpys in an 18 month timescale.

There's plenty of shit buildings lying empty. There's Warwick Mill standing on a roundabout in Middleton. That would make an appropriate place for MPs to yap all day, or more precisely to carry on in their more lucrative employment wherever that might be.

I think the first step would be to reduce the number of MPs so that they could fit in an army surplus tent. Plenty of space in Heaton Park!

Getting rid of MP's I would agree with, most are truly useless. However our history is our history. This building is an important part of our history and IMHO it needs to be kept and made good for the next couple of hundred years.

If we bulldoze it (You know that is never happening right>) what will the mini che's have to burn down at the start of the revolution :)

No one - I mean no one - likes history more than me. But that does not justify such an obscene level of expenditure on a working building. Most of it is only Victorian anyway. The really historic bits got burned down in 1834.

Apart from this, it's high time Parliament was modernised and got with things like electronic voting. What we have now is the equivalent of an office where everyone sits on tall stools and writes with quill pens by candlelight. That is absurd, and a waste of time. No business would dream of functioning like that. If it was more efficient they could maybe have some useful debates and get more laws passed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.