How do you define nationality?

Johnsonontheleft

This is in the news at the moment, with some Italian fans quoted as chanting 'a Negro can never be Italian' and an Oxford Uni professor claiming that 'White Britons' will be a minority in Britain by 2066. Looking at the French team last night, more than half were of African descent. There was talk a while back about Arteta playing for England.

What confuses me is this: what conditions must be met for a person to be classed as 'British', 'Italian', 'French' etc?

Is 'born there' enough, or do you need to add 'parents born there', or simply 'raised there'? Or is 'lived there for a few years' enough to qualify someone?

Nationality is what's on your passport. I'm British for those purposes, but my heritage is Scotish/Irish - I was born in the UK, to parents born in the UK, Grandparents born in Manchester and Scotland...I was raised in Germany, but that doesn't count haha.

I see nationality and heritage as two separate, but important things.

Cal said:
Nationality is what's on your passport. I'm British for those purposes, but my heritage is Scotish/Irish - I was born in the UK, to parents born in the UK, Grandparents born in Manchester and Scotland...I was raised in Germany, but that doesn't count haha.

I see nationality and heritage as two separate, but important things.
Can't agree with that. Asylum Seekers can reside in a country, (normally Norway or Austria), fr 2 years then have a passport with that nationality on it. So Mr Malik, for example, can be born and raised in Iraq but move to Austria seeking asylum, (with the obvious intention of gaining EU status and moving here to claim benefits), and then be classed as Austrian after 2 years. Thats bollocks. He's Iraqi and always will be, he will never be Austrian.

Fair point - using your example, he could have dual nationality, as is he has been accepted into Norway as a national.

What about, say, British person who migrates to America as a young child, and becomes an American citizen (or vice verca) - are they British or American?

Ask that tosser Ashcroft who now sits in the Lords chamber. He's Australian, British and summat else near Africa apparently. Great way to avoid tax and charges of fraud.

Cal said:
Fair point - using your example, he could have dual nationality, as is he has been accepted into Norway as a national.

What about, say, British person who migrates to America as a young child, and becomes an American citizen (or vice verca) - are they British or American?
Good example. Take Lennox Lewis, born in London and moved to Canada as a kid. He, to me, is British but I take on board he would probably 'feel' Canadian. A friend of mine has just gone to Perth with his 2 young children. His kids are british and always will be. Thats how I see it anyway and which is why if Almunia or Arteta ever pull on an England shirt, i'll disown them. Its like Kevin Pietersen. He's South African!!!

Pigeonho said:
Cal said:

Good example. Take Lennox Lewis, born in London and moved to Canada as a kid. He, to me, is British but I take on board he would probably 'feel' Canadian. A friend of mine has just gone to Perth with his 2 young children. His kids are british and always will be. Thats how I see it anyway and which is why if Almunia or Arteta ever pull on an England shirt, i'll disown them. Its like Kevin Pietersen. He's South African!!!

I agree.I was born and raised in Manchester,leaving at 21,and have lived in Aus for 24 years.I am an Australian citizen,have an Aussie wife,two Aussie kids and carry an Australian passport but will always be seen as a pom by Aussies and myself.

You don't, it's a stupid concept. Ancestry-wise, I have Irish, English, Welsh and French origins, that I know of. I have a British passport but I'm an Irish citizen and could have an Irish passport and a British passport. I was born in Britain, in England to be more specific. So, am I Irish, English, Welsh, British or French? The answer is that I am none of these things. I am an internationalist. I celebrate all human achievement and despise all human cruelty.

Skashion said:
You don't, it's a stupid concept. Ancestry-wise, I have Irish, English, Welsh and French origins, that I know of. I have a British passport but I'm an Irish citizen and could have an Irish passport and a British passport. I was born in Britain, in England to be more specific. So, am I Irish, English, Welsh, British or French? The answer is that I am none of these things. I am an internationalist. I celebrate all human achievement and despise all human cruelty.

Would you do away with the World Cup then? (and any other international sport for that matter)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.