How do you justify playing Zab over Elano?

skybluekings said:
The inclusion of De Jong and Zab in midfield means that we are now running a 2 DM set. Why? With Kompany now in CB, his spot can now be taken by one of the two...but to have both? It makes no sense as it takes away from our creativity. Is this overly defensive set up really needed or for that matter can you name another top team using 2 DMs?
Playing 2 DMs? Really? This makes no sense to me and gradually seems more of a vendetta against a player rather than good tactics, or for that matter, good judgement.

Don't Liverpool, Villa & Manure all often play with 2DMs. If you look at the availability in our team, the preceeding form, the new signings and who we played over the last 2 games you will see that there simply was no other option than to start with Zab and De Jong midfield.

skybluekings said:
How bad can we be in this line up?:
--------Given------
Zab----Kompany----Richards----Bridge
-----------De Jong---------------
SWP---Elano---Ireland---Robinho
-----------Bellamy-----------

In my opinion, the above is a GREAT team. However whilst having Richards at right back may bode well defensively, Richards is yet to produce a cross. All season (from the right back position). Therefore it is better to have Zab at right back and allow him to join the attack like an extra winger - which he has done effectively this season.

It is the best line-up we have at the moment (although I personally would play Onuha instead of Richards). It will be interesting to see if Hughes 'unleashes' it against Boro. I certainly hope so.

skybluekings said:
After reading reviews of our team from the South American press I have to agree that "Elano is too good to be sitting on the bench".

It is understandable that the South American press will have that outlook considering that he starts and plays well for Brazil. However this season Elano was not played in his best position (as its currently occupied by Ireland) nor was he in the usual position he plays for Brazil (as it is currently occupied by SWP). Elano was played in a CM role that he was not really used or suited to. It is a shame that many of our fans don't recognise that and are quick to jump on his back. But over the last few weeks Elano appears to have pulled his socks up and is starting to perform in his new CM role. I believe that he has developed as a player and this will be beneficial to City and Brazil.

p.s. I am sorry that I had to disect the original post but it just seemed easier to explain things that way.

quiet_riot said:
bizzbo said:
both play one out and out hard worker and one graceful sort with awesome passing range and vision, the zab/de jong partnership is missing that

You've not watched De Jong at work then.

beg to differ old chap, he is a indubitably competant in his distribution, but palpably lacks the vision and range of carrick/alonso

bizzbo said:
beg to differ old chap, he is a indubitably competant in his distribution, but palpably lacks the vision and range of carrick/alonso

Agreed he's no Alonso, but he's far better than, say, Petrov or Barry.

Nice tone as well mate.

skybluekings said:
--------Given------
Zab----Kompany----Richards/Ned----Bridge

In my opinion, the above is a GREAT team. However whilst currently having Richards at right back may bode well defensively, Richards is yet to produce a cross. All season (from the right back position).

I agree that Elano should be starting, but who cares if our fullbacks aren't producing crosses. In the team you've listed, who do you envisage getting on the end of those crosses and heading the ball into the back of the net?

shaundickov said:
skybluekings said:
--------Given------

In my opinion, the above is a GREAT team. However whilst currently having Richards at right back may bode well defensively, Richards is yet to produce a cross. All season (from the right back position).

I agree that Elano should be starting, but who cares if our fullbacks aren't producing crosses. In the team you've listed, who do you envisage getting on the end of those crosses and heading the ball into the back of the net?

tsk, pay attention... robinho's habit of picking up his team mates after they have scored a goal is clearly something that's been worked on in training.... he is supposed to hoist bellamy and sweep into the air whenever the ball is crossed, i'm sure once he gets the timing sorted this will be an effective tactic for us.

We need 2 DM its those solid players that give us a platform to use all the ability we have going forward.

bizzbo said:
quiet_riot said:
Liverpool. Villa. Rags....top enough for you?

both play one out and out hard worker and one graceful sort with awesome passing range and vision, the zab/de jong partnership is missing that

I'm sorry - Ireland doesn't have any gracefulness or awesome passing or range or vision? The fact is we choose an extra defensive midfielder to support Ireland and also sacrifice a striker - This isn't me saying i don't like Ireland by the - love him to bits such a legend!

shaundickov said:
skybluekings said:
--------Given------

Fullbacks being able to cross and shoot are giving winning teams an edge. Look at Chelsea's Bosingwa (sp) and Cole or Barcelona's Dani Alves as examples. They give their teams an extra "attacker" when going forward. Fab can do this for City and has even scored going forward. However, I can't see Richards producing the same effort in attack.

That being said, Man City has scored only 1 goal (all season and all competitions) via a "header".
That was Benjani and against Fulham.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.