How far off Barcelona are we?

Pigeonho said:
Bigga said:
Actually, these are points I wanted to raise last night (but I ended going to poker, which I won, but I digress...).

We've, recently, been playing in such a way where we've been trying to control possession and search for an opening. Barca went back and forth between the mid and defence, last night, in a similar way to we have, in recent games, yet they are applauded on here whilst our own 'fans' find us 'boring' and are 'not paying money to watch that'.

I cannot work you people out.
I didn't really look at the OP as a question about the playing side of things, I looked at it more as 'how far are we from being as big as Barca'. If its Barca we are gauging things off regarding the playing side, i'm not sure why as it should surely be gauged on the current European Champions. On our day we could beat anyone, which is why I say it should be gauged on the CL winners of the last season. We could also get beat off anyone though so its pointless really debating on how far/close we are to one particular club, unless of course the question is asking how far away we are from being as big as any particular club and right now, as it stands, we are light years away from being as big as Barca and more than likely never will be as big. Thats how I saw the OP, not just about the playing side of things.

I'm assuming the OP's question is a mash of both views, but has to be interpreted by the individual posting back.

I can why people are posting what they are, but it helps that we view the comments in kind to how we've been playing lately.

That way, we can answer again and see what answers we come up with.

SambaStyle said:
Keeper(Hart) - Check

Left back(Kolarov) - Check
Centre backs (Boateng,Kompany) - Check
Right back - need one.

CM(De Jong) - Check
LCM(Silva) - Check
RCM(Yaya) - Check

ST(Tevez) - Check
ST(Balotelli) - Check
ST - Need another.

and yet..and yet...the difference is like a Tesco jaffa cake and its McVities counterpart.

Its not just about players its about years of believing you are the best and playing with the same philosophy. Then putting great players into the system that you know wins things.

Yes in a one match scenario we may pull out a win but in reality we are miles behind them.

Nearest thing to Barca is arsenal if they had a good keeper and better defenders.

onceabluealways said:
Its not just about players its about years of believing you are the best and playing with the same philosophy. Then putting great players into the system that you know wins things.

Yes in a one match scenario we may pull out a win but in reality we are miles behind them.

Nearest thing to Barca is arsenal if they had a good keeper and better defenders.

I disagree.

I actually think Arsenal are better going forward as they're more direct.

Barca kill you with kindness whereas Arsenal, to a fault, try and walk the ball in.

But, as an all over team, The Arse don't touch Barca.

We need to look at poaching the best youth coaches out there, play our kids in 7 a side games so their technique becomes superior to what other English coaching set ups teach.

Scott sellars and the likes maybe decent but they will never be what the likes of barca teach imo.

about 5 parallel universes, a decent youth system and a snood ban from getting to with in a champions league quarter final of them:

some of your posters on the other thread have called us stoke fans twelvefingered inbreds, pricks and a whole host of other things and just while you are thinking of a witty repose somebody started this thread

genius

We can play some beautiful football, but havent found that consistency and ability to break teams down that Barca have. Long, long way to go before we can seriously compete in the CL, but the signs are encouraging.

Also, with due respect to la Liga, I dont believe there is the parity in that division that there is in the Prem, making the running slightly easier for the top teams.

Chick Counterfly said:
not that easy.

most of Barca's boys have played together through the ranks. They grew up watching Guardiola play under Cruyff. For over two decades, Barca have played more or less the exact same system, the same style, and very similar tactics. The youth team play exactly the same. Xavi, Puyol, Iniesta and co played also played the same style of football together for Spain. They know each other as well as any team on the planet. They look at each other and think, I won the World Cup, the European Cup, Three League Titles, and the Champions League with these guys.

Apart from Hart and Richards, our longest serving players are the likes of Kompany and Zabaleta, who have been here just over 2 years. Less than a year ago, we were playing 'direct' football.

All the money in the world can't buy the shared experience of winning things, and the understanding that comes from playing a particular brand of football with the same people for five, in some cases ten years.

I'm not accusing you of it, but I detest the 'Best squad in the world' attitude. It's bollocks. The strength of a squad is having the right mix for your needs, not the biggest collection of players at the biggest prices. Half a dozen of them are totally unsuited to this sort of football. Look at the keepball sessions vs Fulham and Stoke. Can you ever see Bridge, SWP or Lescott doing that. And there is the small matter of the ultimate quality... one or two perfect players in key positions can make more of a difference than 'good in every position'. There is only one Xavi, only one Messi. You can't just buy whatever is the best on offer that year and think it will be as good. You have to wait for quality, for the exact match for your requirements. Most of the time it will never become available, so you have to develop what you have, shape a few very good players until they are perfect for your team.

I think that's what we're doing now. Kompany and De Jong are really growing into crucial players now. It's no coincidence that they've been here the longest. We're still establishing our style of play. Then we need to win something.... then, maybe then, we might turn in a sparkling Fulham type performance as regularly as the likes of Barca.

Fantastic post, especially the bit in bold. This is a neglected aspect of top quality football - we might have extremely good players in most positions, but Barcelona have THE BEST players where they want them. This is why Ronaldo went for £80mil, while other top players 'only' go for £20mil. When you're only allowed 11 players on the pitch, their value translates across as more than a simple sum of their ability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.