How many more people will now become City fans?

I was recently on holiday in Mexico. Quite few of the resort staff asked where I was from and I’d say “Manchester” & without any prompt they’d say “Manchester City” in past & for all my lifetime it would always be “United”. While I was there we were plastered all over the Spanish-speaking Sports Channels. I think since Rooney left - and Ronaldo returned and fucked off again - they don’t have any players with any global profile (Apart from Maguire who’s an international laughing stock). Their manager is one boring fucker and I can’t see any kids wanting Weghorst on the back of their shirt. They put all their PR effort behind the cult of Rashford but you can’t polish a turd - he’s just not good enough. It will also be fun watching them trying to reintegrate that nasty little twat Greenwood.
City are a global breakthrough story And I’m loving it.

Although I've supported this club for over 20 years and have family roots in Manchester, I am an American and therefore, admittedly, look at this issue a bit differently than most of the rest of you. But here are my thoughts, which you can take it or leave it.

It's pretty obvious to anyone that success breeds more fans. There's a reason why the biggest clubs in the world are the most historically successful… Real, Barça, Bayern, Liverpool, U****d, etc. And just like the worldwide fans of those clubs, some will be casual and some will be Blues until their dying day. However, I think there is an idea amongst the legacy Blues that this is still the same club playing in Division Two. It's a romanticizing that I, as a New Yorker, have heard plenty of when some talk about NYC in the 1970s. But just like how NYC has turned into Disneyland and a playground for the rich, Manchester City have become a global brand that just won the fucking treble. Some Blues, especially those who were there during the darker days, want to actively fight against this. But no matter how you look at it, that battle has already been lost. It's fighting windmills.

City are one of the most successful clubs of the 21st century and now have sister clubs all over the world, from my hometown of NYC to Uruguay, Australia, India and beyond. The club has been fully globalized. And I fully understand how that has rubbed many legacy supporters the wrong way. We were always the plucky underdog, everyone's second favorite club, the ones who were considered the proper Manchester club that plays in Manchester and has a proper local fanbase. Many of us remember when City were begging us to buy shit shirts and shit pies in order to stay afloat. That's a core piece of our identity, an identity has shifted dramatically since the money came in. And now City have fans everywhere.

Maybe it's because I help run the supporters club chapter in NYC, but I believe in welcoming everybody in. When I first started going to The Mad Hatter (RIP), everyone there was so warm and welcoming. They didn't gatekeep or make me feel less of a fan because of my lack of a Mancunian accent. We were all Blues at the end of the day, and that's all that mattered. I try to remember that every time I walk into our new home, Amity Hall, and do my best to make sure everyone who comes in has a similar experience as I did. To help foster a community of Blues.

Our supporters' club started in 2007 with seven people. Now we have over 300, and had to work with four separate bars to account for the over 750 people who came to to watch the Champions League Final with us. Most of the people who showed up, I have never seen before. But those people are going to support City regardless, which is why I believe that if we take these newer fans under our wing and really show them the culture surrounding this club—especially the history—they will become proper Blues for life. The who, what, where, when, or why should be completely irrelevant, because it all comes down to one thing: would you rather see someone walking down the street, anywhere in the world, wearing red or blue? I know what my answer is.

It's inevitable that we will get an influx of newer fans with our success since Sheikh Mansour bought the club. But we should welcome them with open arms and show them the ropes. Introduce them to the culture of the club before they change it themselves. Ingratiate them into the community and teach them what it means to be a Blue—the history, the songs, the humor—everything that makes City, City. I truly believe that we will lose our soul as a club if we don't.

And to any Blues out there that doubt our level of support, I offer an open invitation to watch any match with us at Amity Hall whenever you're in NYC. I have a feeling you will be surprised. And, having watched the Champions League Final with the supporters' club in Seattle, I have to say this: 12:30pm kickoffs are at 4:30am on the West Coast of the US. The 5:30pm kickoffs are at 9:30am. And they watch EVERY match. That, right there, is dedication, and they have all my respect for that.

Apologies for the essay. I'll close with a quick observation. I visit Manchester every year to see friends and family, and find it a bit rich that so many of the people telling Americans to support their local club are the same people I see around Manchester wearing hats and shirts of US teams. (Just saying.)
This is a good watch. Show the passion NYC based fans have for City:

Great read... How's the general feeling in New York towards the club after they announced the stadium build?
There really isn't much of an overlap between NYCFC and City supporters. Some Blues, like myself, will follow NYCFC, but by default—my club has always been, and always will be, City. Although this is changing, the overwhelming majority of football fans in the States, even now, are immigrants or children of immigrants—many of whom come from Spanish speaking countries. So the overwhelming majority of football fans in the US follow the more historically successful clubs like Real, Barcelona, Bayern, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, and U****d. This is no different amongst NYCFC supporters.

Because these supporters have no connection to or love for City (not to mention the Frank Lampard fiasco that left a very bitter taste in their mouths), there has been this idea of NYCFC being treated as an offshoot of City since the club's founding. New York City FC fans want their own identity—one that isn't intrinsically connected so closely with a club that the majority of them don't support. Which I completely understand.

I think it's great that NYCFC have announced a stadium, which was a huge issue amongst NYCFC supporters. They felt like they were given years of empty promises, so there's a healthy skepticism about it and the club. The fact is, CFG thought they would just throw a lot of money to make the stadium happen, but that's not how it works here. Lots of red tape, NIMBYs, and palms that need greasing in order to get things done. But politicians, business owners, unions, community organizers, and the like were able to take advantage of the situation since they knew that the club were contractually obligated to build a stadium within the five boroughs. But it was finally announced. (Still, there is a part of me that absolutely loved the fact that the 2021 MLS champions play in a baseball stadium! Doesn't get more American than that )

Those who follow the MLS love the MLS. They are diehards. Those who don't would rather watch better leagues with better players, just like how Brits would rather watch the NBA than the BBL. (Who knows how much that will change now that Messi is heading to Miami, though.)

This is a good watch. Show the passion NYC based fans have for City:

This was what it looked like at Amity Hall on Saturday, where the real Blues were. There was a queue around the block to get in before doors opened at 11am… kickoff was at 3pm! We ended up working with three other pubs in the area due to the overwhelming demand to watch the match with fellow Blues. Altogether, I'd say we had over 700 people watching with us.

This was what it looked like at Amity Hall on Saturday, where the real Blues were. There was a queue around the block to get in before doors opened at 11am… kickoff was at 3pm! We ended up working with three other pubs in the area due to the overwhelming demand to watch the match with fellow Blues. Altogether, I'd say we had over 700 people watching with us.

Amazing work mate. Keep fighting the good fight :’)

Amazing work mate. Keep fighting the good fight :’)
Cheers! It’s a huge labor of love and a massive undertaking. Not only are we the very first official supporters’ club chapter in any of the Americas, I’m proud to say we’ve also raised over $120,000 for charity over the years (primarily helping fund local footballing initiatives for underprivileged youth, as well as a local food bank). This has helped earn us the distinction of being a registered nonprofit organization.

If any of you ever in NYC, here’s an open invitation to come on over and watch a match with us. I have a feeling anyone doubting our level of support and dedication will be happily surprised.

Celebrating like they themselves were in the Ataturk stadium. Absolutely brilliant.

I was recently on holiday in Mexico. Quite few of the resort staff asked where I was from and I’d say “Manchester” & without any prompt they’d say “Manchester City” in past & for all my lifetime it would always be “United”. While I was there we were plastered all over the Spanish-speaking Sports Channels. I think since Rooney left - and Ronaldo returned and fucked off again - they don’t have any players with any global profile (Apart from Maguire who’s an international laughing stock). Their manager is one boring fucker and I can’t see any kids wanting Weghorst on the back of their shirt. They put all their PR effort behind the cult of Rashford but you can’t polish a turd - he’s just not good enough. It will also be fun watching them trying to reintegrate that nasty little twat Greenwood.
City are a global breakthrough story And I’m loving it.

I had reason to be in a bank in Naples, Florida a couple of months ago. The lady I spoke to took great delight in telling me that her teenage son and his mates are all Blues ! She now has my contact details as I promised that when she brings her son over for a game which she's planning on doing I'll try my best to sort them out some tickets. The Bluemoon is becoming huge !

I had reason to be in a bank in Naples, Florida a couple of months ago. The lady I spoke to took great delight in telling me that her teenage son and his mates are all Blues ! She now has my contact details as I promised that when she brings her son over for a game which she's planning on doing I'll try my best to sort them out some tickets. The Bluemoon is becoming huge !
Smooth lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.