How would players react to purely performance based wages.

Bojinov The Bull

I was thinking about the lack of motivation and desire that our team seems to have this season. They have won the FA Cup and then did the big one...the league. Most of them will be happy with their work now and would be fine cruising through the rest of their contract earning £100k-£200k a week so how do you motivate a player that has loads of money and doesn't care about the club?

The only way I could see of doing it would be pay them based on appearance, goal, clean sheet and most importantly win bonuses. If they got no basic salary but then received say £40k per goal, £60k per win, £40k per clean sheet etc... then how many of them would actually stay?

I know this would never happen, im not saying it would, its purely hypothetical but it would tell you a lot about their characters and whether they would prefer to actually work for their money.

One thing is for sure though...Scott Sinclair would be fucked!

I do remember from way back when Ron Saunders' Aston Villa won the title with the Gary Shaw,Peter Withe, Denis Mortimer side etc that they were on a very small wage compared to most of the players in Division One but had an incredible bonus system.

Can't seriously see a Club trying it these days with player power and Agents though can you?

Bojinov The Bull said:
I was thinking about the lack of motivation and desire that our team seems to have this season. They have won the FA Cup and then did the big one...the league. Most of them will be happy with their work now and would be fine cruising through the rest of their contract earning £100k-£200k a week so how do you motivate a player that has loads of money and doesn't care about the club?

The only way I could see of doing it would be pay them based on appearance, goal, clean sheet and most importantly win bonuses. If they got no basic salary but then received say £40k per goal, £60k per win, £40k per clean sheet etc... then how many of them would actually stay?
I know this would never happen, im not saying it would, its purely hypothetical but it would tell you a lot about their characters and whether they would prefer to actually work for their money.

One thing is for sure though...Scott Sinclair would be fucked!

With so much money on the line, you'd probably have players injuring their teammates in training, and not passing to each other in front of goal.

I've been thinking about this for a while too, but I think it would be more likely if there was a basic pay for them as well, that way it would be easier to build a better squad. How likely is somebody be to sign for us if they weren't likely to play and as a result, not get paid?

Something else I would have thought could be a problem is, imagine how greedy Aguero and Tevez would become if they had a huge bonus per goal? They're bad enough as it is! Also if its only the goalkeeper and defenders on a clean sheet bonus, it might cause friction between the defence and a midfielder who decides not to track back because we're winning by a lot.

On the other hand, it could help a lot with ffp as someone like Wayne bridge wouldn't be getting all of his £90k wages along with under performing players getting less.

simonmdm said:
I've been thinking about this for a while too, but I think it would be more likely if there was a basic pay for them as well, that way it would be easier to build a better squad. How likely is somebody be to sign for us if they weren't likely to play and as a result, not get paid?

Something else I would have thought could be a problem is, imagine how greedy Aguero and Tevez would become if they had a huge bonus per goal? They're bad enough as it is! Also if its only the goalkeeper and defenders on a clean sheet bonus, it might cause friction between the defence and a midfielder who decides not to track back because we're winning by a lot.

On the other hand, it could help a lot with ffp as someone like Wayne bridge wouldn't be getting all of his £90k wages along with under performing players getting less.

Ye that would be the problem, one club couldn't do it, it would have to be a universal change in the top leagues at least. As for the point about the greed, the key is to have the biggest bonus for winning! That way first and foremost they'll make sure they win the game before getting greedy in front of goal.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Nasri would have to retire!

Was just about to make a very similar comment! - Read in the paper that the little prick has bagged himself a victoria secrets model recently... yeer because hes such a good looking lad isn't he... sure if he was on performance pay (therefore he would be on fuck all money) she wouldn't be interested one bit!

If it was performance based wages they wouldn't have earned a tenner between em' at Southampton !

A league two side would have put up more of fight than we did !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.