How's your mood after the RM game?

I've rewatched the game.
We didn't have enough cutting edge. Yes we have Haaland but we don't get the ball to him anywhere near enough.
We just seem to keep passing it side to side around the edge of their 18 yard box which with their players was easy to defend. They even made it hard for us to shoot long range.
We must overcome this problem, it's going to keep stopping us winning big games against quality opposition.
I don't profess to be an expert but I see the answer as being fast direct wing play like we had with Sane.
Doku tried to break through several times when he came on but he's young and not at that level yet. And at that stage there was no Haaland to keep the defenders busy.
100% spot on.

We are so predictable and for me, very easy to defend against.

Pep's obsession with possession is an issue for me, sometimes you need to draw out the opposition then hit them hard on the counter like in the days of Sane, Sterling and Aguero.

100% spot on.

Pep's obsession with possession is an issue for me, sometimes you need to draw out the opposition then hit them hard on the counter like in the days of Sane, Sterling and Aguero.
I agree and the loss of a 'Gundogan' type making runs into the box means opposition midfields can sit as a bank of 4/5 on the edge of the 18 yard area making it almost impossible to shoot.

100% spot on.

People calling them Luton Madrid, well they completely nullified our attack which is absolutely what they came to do. Then hit us on the break. Chelsea may well do the same if they are good enough.

I've rewatched the game.
We didn't have enough cutting edge. Yes we have Haaland but we don't get the ball to him anywhere near enough.
We just seem to keep passing it side to side around the edge of their 18 yard box which with their players was easy to defend. They even made it hard for us to shoot long range.
We must overcome this problem, it's going to keep stopping us winning big games against quality opposition.
I don't profess to be an expert but I see the answer as being fast direct wing play like we had with Sane.
Doku tried to break through several times when he came on but he's young and not at that level yet. And at that stage there was no Haaland to keep the defenders busy.
My conclusion from this is that Real Madrid worked their arses off defending and did it really, really well. We see lesser teams do this at the Etihad and usually get broken down. When one of the best teams in the world do this, that's going to be harder. Every other team in the world would struggle to break down a ten man Real Madrid defense.

And so I take two things rom that:
1) Ancelotti's tactics were a massive compliment to City and to Pep.

2) We win over two legs 4 times out of 5. Two of their goals were deflections. We really don't need to agonise over finding some missing magic ingredient. We battered them but were unlucky. End of story

100% spot on.

There is that, however the games got stretched in the champions league knock outs and gave the other team an opportunity to score and knock us out. We don’t have pacey wingers anymore apart from Doku, everything is about control and moving the ball up the pitch in a way you don’t get countered. It worked and got us a champions league, this year fine margins and Madrid defending like men possessed over came it. The top teams in Europe genuinely fear City and don’t want to play their normal game against us, a few years back they knew we had a soft underbelly and could be got at.

People calling them Luton Madrid, well they completely nullified our attack which is absolutely what they came to do. Then hit us on the break. Chelsea may well do the same if they are good enough.
People criticizing there style of the night are idiots, they did what they had to and sadly are in the semi's.

Chelsea have pace throughout their team and that's a big worry for the weekend.

My conclusion from this is that Real Madrid worked their arses off defending and did it really, really well. We see lesser teams do this at the Etihad and usually get broken down. When one of the best teams in the world do this, that's going to be harder. Every other team in the world would struggle to break down a ten man Real Madrid defense.

And so I take two things rom that:
1) Ancelotti's tactics were a massive compliment to City and to Pep.

2) We win over two legs 4 times out of 5. Two of their goals were deflections. We really don't need to agonise over finding some missing magic ingredient. We battered them but were unlucky. End of story
We are always unlucky in that competition.
1 win in 14 yrs

I'm not sure how a Sane type player would have helped on Wed... He'd have had no space to run into. Doku was the closest, but that's not because of pace, but acceleration and ability to find a yard of space in crowded areas. To be fair Foden usually has this. Bobb, perhaps, too, but no way he'd have started.

Defending is part of the game, end of. We were unlucky, don’t care if we never win it again. Their antics were a disgrace.

I think it means there's no chance of the Rags getting in the CL as the extra coefficient place will go to Germany.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.