HS2 - Cancel it now

I’ve looked at a Liverpool and Manchester weekend but open fares on the train are now £90. It’s unaffordable and I can’t always book well in advance.
From London? Take the slow train (london north western to liverpool). Takes ages but half the price.

Was speaking to a guy a few weeks ago who has a event venue in Northamptonshire with a lot of land, some of which has been subject to a CPO for HS2, who informed me that even if it doesn’t go ahead he is still due the statutory compensation. Presumably that applies to a lot of land along the proposed route.

For that reason, along with the fact that a significant amount of the preparatory work has been undertaken at both ends, I reckon they’ll press ahead with the Birmingham to London route, but cancel the rest, with the funds (plus) being diverted into intra-northern rail investment in particular.
Phase 1 always included a connection to the West Coast Main Line beyond Burningham. Previous review accepted you might as well then take phase 1 to Crewe. And bits of the phase 2 to Manchester become part of the transpennine NPR route.

There is "overwhelming evidence" that the costs of HS2 are "out of control" and its benefits overstated, the deputy chair of its review panel has said.

Lord Berkeley said the high-speed rail line, linking London and northern England, is likely to cost over £108bn.

A vocal critic of HS2, the Labour peer said he believed MPs had been "misled" about the price - set at £55bn in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50995116

And not forgetting the cost of the build doesn't include cost of the actual trains
I heard Lord Berkeley on the radio. He hasn't a clue about railway operation. And he suggests commuter lines be quadrupled - through urban areas which would mean massive CPO costs.

Some very odd results in that, both mileage and times. 215 miles London to Paris? As the crow flies maybe. 50 mins Liverpool to Manchester? Only 50% more than the current fastest trains.

Piccadilly. The quicker train is through Victoria which is only partially useful, and the connection between Picc and Vic is too inefficient at this point.

Piccadilly. The quicker train is through Victoria which is only partially useful, and the connection between Picc and Vic is too inefficient at this point.
Well yes but the time from London Victoria to Manchester Victoria wouldn't be much of a comparison of journey times between cities.

You're just being facetious.
Oh no I'm not.

You posted a list of dodgy distances and times. It's not 50 miles Piccadilly to Lime St and the fastest trains take 48 minutes not 53. I'm being accurate.

Still an hour quicker so not useless. HS3 (or Northern Powerhouse Rail as it now is) would be expensive. Our council leader moaned about how long it took by train from Manchester to Newcastle. The only reason he ever needed to go to Newcastle was to talk about how long it took to get there.
If he wants to get really pissed off he should get the train from piccadilly to chester
80 minutes for a 40 mile journey on trains that should have been decommissioned at least ten years ago

If he wants to get really pissed off he should get the train from piccadilly to chester
80 minutes for a 40 mile journey on trains that should have been decommissioned at least ten years ago
That journey must have 20 stops at least! I had to do it a couple of times around 15 years ago and the trains then were fucking awful. Stank of piss and looked like they had been in service since the 60’s.
I guess it’s not improved much! Haha!

Why would he do that rather than get the "Express" trains from Picc or Vic to Chester that only take an hour?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.