HS2 - Cancel it now

I think Boris is smitten with "Grands Projet" as was President Mitterrand in France so I expect the full scheme will happen...
He'll have served the maximum term by the time work is due to start on the Phase 2B parts, so depends on the appetite at that point, which is why its better to start now.

I have to say, I think "Grands Projet" - particularly for infrastructure, tend to be an overall boost to the economy, so I think they should build the Northern Ireland bridge too while they're at it, although a tunnel is a better option in my mind. 50 mile tunnel from the M55 in Blackpool to Isle of Man, come up for air, then another 30 miles to somewhere in County Down.

It'll go as far as Birmingham and then be scrapped...

Even that would be something for northerners.

We'd get more or less a new station to replace the dump that is Euston currently and some increase in capacity on the WCML from Rugby southwards at least.

Selfishly I'd be happy if Phase 1 only goes as far as Crewe as was suggested in the announcement yesterday.

He'll have served the maximum term by the time work is due to start on the Phase 2B parts, so depends on the appetite at that point, which is why its better to start now.

I have to say, I think "Grands Projet" - particularly for infrastructure, tend to be an overall boost to the economy, so I think they should build the Northern Ireland bridge too while they're at it, although a tunnel is a better option in my mind. 50 mile tunnel from the M55 in Blackpool to Isle of Man, come up for air, then another 30 miles to somewhere in County Down.

I'd do Holyhead-Dublin instead if only to annoy Mrs Sturgeon

Not sure anyone in authority gets climate change and environmental considerations.

We convert to so-called smart motorways to allow yet more polluting cars on the roads. And devastate green habitats to shift more people by train.

We concrete the countryside over to accommodate net inward migration, high birth rates and ever more single/small households.

Surely a lot of this - not least business travel - should be increasingly unnecessary in this technological age.

We’re still in the mindset of unadulterated and unthinking pursuit of economic growth.

Not sure anyone in authority gets climate change and environmental considerations.

We convert to so-called smart motorways to allow yet more polluting cars on the roads. And devastate green habitats to shift more people by train.

We concrete the countryside over to accommodate net inward migration, high birth rates and ever more single/small households.

Surely a lot of this - not least business travel - should be increasingly unnecessary in this technological age.

We’re still in the mindset of unadulterated and unthinking pursuit of economic growth.
I’ve said it before plié the money into super duper broadband for everyone, meetings can take place face to face over the internet, I noticed Boris mentioned people could get from Birmingham to Heathrow in 34 mins, so yet more people travelling down south, why not run more routes from northern airports? For me your taking people away from the north to London with high speed rail.

I’ve said it before plié the money into super duper broadband for everyone, meetings can take place face to face over the internet, I noticed Boris mentioned people could get from Birmingham to Heathrow in 34 mins, so yet more people travelling down south, why not run more routes from northern airports? For me your taking people away from the north to London with high speed rail.

The Heathrow Airport he refuses to expand.

I wouldn’t get too worked up about it - the world will be embroiled in a nuclear war long before this gets off the ground.
Underground shelters is where the government should be investing.

Did he really say 34 minutes?

It's what, about 90 miles? 34 minutes sounds skinny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.